Old October 1st 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
K7ITM K7ITM is offline

Default what homebrew HF antenna produces the most groundwave?

On Sep 30, 5:40 pm, Roy Lewallen wrote:
Wim mentioned the high angle lobe you get with a 5/8 wave antenna. It
produces a sky wave which can, if skip conditions are present, interfere
with the ground wave signal and cause fading. This could be a very
common and serious problem at higher frequencies where the ground wave
is weaker and the sky wave stronger. You can reduce this by keeping the
radiator height to 1/2 wavelength or less. Antennas in that height range
don't have a high angle lobe, although they do produce some radiation at
high angles. Radiators near a half wavelength in height produce less
high angle radiation than shorter antennas, and they have more
horizontal gain, so I'd think they would be best. I'm sure the AM
broadcasters have other "anti-fading" techniques -- other newsgroup
contributors would know much more about them than I do.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

One way to get more ground wave without introducing the high lobes is
to use a collinear vertical. Just how practical this is depends on
the frequency of operation and what you have to hold the antenna up.
For example, on 30MHz, you could pretty reasonably put a half-wave
above a half-wave or above a quarter wave. On 3.5MHz, that would be
much more difficult for most of us. Even on 20 meters, you might be
able to do a collinear vertical. I suppose that MW AM broadcasters
are unlikely to use a vertical collinear, but maybe one of the other
contributors with lots of broadcast antenna experience could comment
on that.

Cheers,
Tom