Old February 20th 08, 04:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen Roy Lewallen is offline

Default Horizontal loop antenna

Sum Ting Wong wrote:
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:31:00 -0800, Roy Lewallen
wrote:

Putting the balun the input has the disadvantage of
making the tuner chassis hot.

Roy,

Thanks for ANOTHER lesson. I have a SGC-230 tuner in the RV that I
use to tune a wire when we go camping. I think the metal mounting
brackets are isolated from the floating tuner chassis and that you
have to use a grounding lug on the bottom. Never verified that since
I have always used the ground lug anyway. I was thinking of adding
ferrites to the input side of the tuner and then using it to tune a
dipole fed with 450 ohm window line. Maybe I'll just stick with the
longwire.

I noticed the guy who wrote that article mounted his tuner on an el
cheapo cutting board, probably just for that reason.

S.T.W.

And you can also thank Tom Rauch, W8JI who questioned my incorrect
belief, causing me to re-think it.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL