Old June 23rd 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default SWL's - Taking the ZigZag Out of Your Back Yard Antenna . . .

On Jun 23, 3:10 am, "Justis" wrote:
-
- Tried the MFJ-1024 and it's definitely going back.

The Keys to performance with most out-side Active Antennas
is : The Best Quite Location you can find on your Property,
Good Grounding (Ground Rod and Solid Metal Mast); and
reasonable Elevation (Clear 360* View of the Sky).

READ - Small Vertical {Omni} Active Shortwave Receiving Antenna
and Free-Standing "Grounded" Metal Mast {Top-Rail} Mounting
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...be298d354f68f8
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...d05099dc0d45fb

READ - Three 'Tips' For Most Active Antennas : Location + Grounding
+ Mounting --- These 'small' Whip / Loop "Active" Antennas
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...4b0674c12e9f59

READ - What About an All Wave Vertical Antenna {Choices}
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...ecc76902c8b1f7

- Quieter reception and seems like more gain on my zigzag "array".

The ZigZag Array may not be the best way to configure
the Wire Antenna Element.

SWL's - Taking the ZigZag Out of Your Back Yard Antenna . . .

For Shortwave Radio Listener's (SWLs) an open Loop
(be it Round, Square or Triangle) could works better. For
'local' Noise Cancellation a 'balance' open Horizontal Loop
Antenna is preferrred over a bent single wire antenna.

-If- You can not form make a Loop Antenna out of your
present ZigZag {single} Wire Antenna -then- Consider
making it into a Box Antenna Shape with a large open
center with 4 or 3 Sides to the Box. { Top Down View }
___________
| |
| |
* _________|

______
| |
| |
*

-Or- Make it into a 3 Sided Triangle with one open corner.
http://www.dkimages.com/discover/pre...8/45071508.JPG

FWIW An Inverted "L" Antenna with a Multi-Sided Horizontal
Open Loop {Top-Hat} is A-OK in my KISAP Book of . . .
What Works - WORKS !

READ - SWL -Newbies- Installing an Inverted "L" Antenna :
The Right-Way !
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...ca62e0c0e838ea

- I even do better with my TPA Ameco active antenna, indoors.
- Too much gain and it overloads, backing off the gain and it's
- just not equal to wire mess in my backyard.

Ameco Tunable Preamp Antenna (TPA) Active Antenna & Preamp
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/1512.html
Try using an External Snake Antenna made from a single
piece of Coax Cable withe the TPA.

READ - Limited Space All Wave Vertical Antenna :
The MFJ-Snake Vertical Antenna !
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...b4587908f285cf

READ - "Snake" [Mono-Pole] Vertical Antenna
for the FM Radio Band
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...544af32df58ab9
Also works well Active Pre-Selector for Shortwave Too !

- I think I'll just add the MFJ-1026 noise cancellor
- and live with what I have.
- Anyone experience one of these?"

READ - Three Different Noise "Sense" Antennas to Use
for Noise Cancelling Antennas with an Antenna Phaser
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...f663ded31ae934

it's ok to zigzag but it is better to be in-the-loop
-.
Are You Interested in building a better Shortwave Listening*
(SWL) Antenna ? {SWL Group} = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf