Old October 5th 05, 06:25 PM

Thank-you Amos,

I was able to confirm the polarity and connection are correct and the
voltage ranges are compatable between the rig and amp (AL-811).

The manual for the AL-811 is very unclear as to exactly what the
process is to set the ALC control on the back of the Amp:

- What mode should be used on the rig?

- What power level is required on the rig to slightly overdrive the Amp
enough and obtain a neg voltage on the ALC output on the Amp.

- When looking at the back of the AL-811 and the ALC control knob,
which is MIN and which is MAX sensitivity?

My appologies for all the questions. My hopes are to find someone with
an 811 who can describe the process they used.

Lloyd

Amos Keag wrote:
What transceiver are you using? Is the polarity of the ALC voltage
compatible with your transceiver?

I use an AL-80B. It has an ALC range of 0 to -10 vdc. My ICOM has a max
ALC of -4 vdc. I set the AL-80B for -4 vdc at max setting. Then I
adjusted the ALC SET on the front panel to activate at approximately 70
watts of drive.

The point I'm making is that two adjustments were required. First set
MAX ALC voltage, followed by setting ALC SET threshold.

wrote:

Hello Rick,

Your assessment matches the manual, however if you have any specifics
on the adjustment that would be helpful. (When I said power down the
radio I did mean decrease the output power on the radio).

Do you need to drive the amplifer with 70W+ or will the ALC control
work with 30W drive from the radio?

I followed that same process, however did not notice the "drop" in
power on the amp or tranceiver when adjusting the ALC adjustment on the
back of the AL-811.

Thank-you
Lloyd