Old March 5th 12, 02:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
dave dave is offline

Default apartment antennas and rfi

On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 16:31:28 +0000, Edwin Johnson wrote:

Those of you who are using apartment antenna I would love to know of
your experience.

73,

Alan
VY2WU

I had a nice cw qso with a fellow in an apartment using a 9:1 unun made
by balundesigns.com to a straight wire off his apartment balcony to a
tree. Such a wire could be made very small and almost invisible, if that
is a possiblity. Also, easy enough to homebrew your own 9:1 balun for
such, if you are inclined.

If you could feed with parallel line, an end-fed zepp might work well,
but would require an end support, such as a tree, and the parallel is
more visible.

If the second support is not practical, many have used coil loaded
verticals off a patio. This could be done with a collapsing fiber glass
pole for removal when not in use.

Both schemes would require a tuner.

73 ...Edwin, KD5ZLB
have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for
there you have been, there you long to return."-da Vinci
http://bellsouthpwp2.net/e/d/edwinljohnson

A screwdriver antenna may work better than the Hi-Q loop. I'd check at
eham.com reviews.