Old February 26th 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
m II

Default Silicone Grease In Coax Connectors; Comments And Questions ?

Robert11 wrote:

For transmitting power levels, I guess there is more than enough current
flow to puncture thru easily.

But what about for a receiving only application, with what, micro-amps,
across the gap ?

Does this silicone "layer" present any problems, or signal degradation, in
your experiences ?

Good thing to use in coax connectors going to a receiving antenna ? Or,...?

There is bound to be a voltage drop across across almost any
mechanically joined conductors. A light switch has a voltage drop across
it's contacts. A solder joint would a greatly decreased drop, but it's
there regardless. A solder joint is a mechanical connection, while a
weld is a chemical fusing.

I wouldn't think the silicon layer is consistent throughout the contact
area. There are most likely high areas of metal to metal contact, with
the paste filling in the valleys.

Any loss of the borderline contact areas due to silicon invasiveness
would be more than made up for by the protection from oxygen, ozone and
water given to the good 'peak' areas. The good stays good longer.

We could do a simple test with a connector, some coax, a small battery,
a limiting resistor and an accurate voltmeter. A series of before and
after tests could be performed, trying different substances. Vaseline
has been used for battery post connectors for years.

As an unrelated side note, I met a mechanic once who carefully cleaned
off all that white grease from back of regulators and diodes before
installing them. It took him years to figure out what the stuff was
meant to do. He had a real 'sinking' feeling when he found out.

mike