Old August 14th 05, 05:36 AM
Dave Platt

In article ,
Rick Frazier wrote:

Odd... For some reason, this amplifier is available in kit form only, and only
to Hams outside of the US of A..... They are located in Surfside Beach, South
Carolina... Perhaps the Amplifier Kit does not meet FCC regulations (works for
11/10 Meters without Ham License verification)

That does seem to be the case. As I understand it, it is not
currently legal to manufacture or sell an external power amplifier (or
sell one as a kit) which can operate between 24 and 35 MHz. Such amps
cannot be certificated, under current FCC rules, and external power
amps are the only sort of amateur-radio gear which does require
certification. I don't believe that ham-license verification comes
into it at all, in this particular portion of the rules - commercial
amps simply can't be manufactured, or kitted, or sold in new condition
to anyone, if they can amplify between 24 and 35 MHz.

The FCC has proposed (on their own initiative) that this restriction
be dropped. It was never popular with hams and manufacturers, for
obvious reasons, and it doesn't seem to have been effective at keeping
CB "linear" amps from being churned out and sold in quantity... the
original goal of the rule.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO