Old July 2nd 05, 05:43 PM
Mark Zenier

In article Iylxe.102809$9A2.52247@edtnps89, m II wrote:
Stephan Grossklass wrote:
Sorry about that.. I should have been more explicit. I meant to compare the
r-1000 tuning to the Barlow-Wadley setup in the FRG-7. That Yaesu has the
similar thirty band, 1 Mhz step switch along with the khz spread dial. Very
similar, except for the digital readout.

Having played with a FRG-7 at a shop a few times, the R-1000 is way
better. You just turn the switch. And the digital readout tells you
which MHz you've got. For the FRG-7, you have to tune around until you
get the lock light to come one.

Next, the R-1000 has only one local oscillator that matters. Which drives
the first mixer which then feeds the 45.something MHz (fairly narrow)
"roofing filter" for the first IF. So, no images. (For a reasonably
wide definition of "no"). The minus side is that the actual oscillator
(actually, one of a bank of them, selected from ranges of the 1 MHz
switch) is part of a phase locked loop running at 45-75 MHz so is going
to squiggle around a bit and allow the reciever to pick up adjacent
signals as noise.

I don't know the exact details of the FRG-7, but Barlow-Wadley receivers
usually convert an entire 1 MHz wide block to their first IF and second
IF, which is then tuned with using a VFO to the narrowband third IF,
so there's plenty room for intermod, spurs and such.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident