Old December 27th 04, 10:52 AM
Insert66

Default radio and antenna questions for 108 to 136 MHZ

I would like to intercept the local airport frequencies
I tried a pro-82 with its default antenna and got little more than the
aircraft, .. no ATC . I returned the radio

I am now trying to decide if i should buy a better radio
and an add on / larger antenna

Or should i accept that local buildings are
going to make it impossible. I am 10 to 12 nm
from the airport. but have other buildings around me
Im on the 12th floor and have a balcony

would a discone do it?
is a base unit more sensitive than a hand held?

is the pro 82 considered sensitive?

what is the ideal antenna length for 108 - 136 MHZ ?

is it better to but aviation hand helds, as they may be
made for these frequencies?

would simply a taller antenna have made a difference with
the pro 82? It was simple enough to use

TIA for any replies