Old May 7th 05, 10:10 PM

Basically, either antenna can be fine. Just try to make sure that the
section that carries maximum current (and thus does most of the
radiation) is as high and clear of conducting objects as possible.
Also, avoid bending that part of the antenna much more than 90 degrees.
For example, if you make a 180 degree bend, radiation due to currents
going in opposite directions will largely cancel out.

For your half wave long wire the place of maximum radiation is at the
wire center, and then tapering off towards the ends. So, keep the
center of that antenna relatively straight and high up. Don't let
strict theoretical assumptions hold you back from trying out what one
might think is impossible. For example, I have frequently made QSOs
for over 4000 miles with 1W (one watt) and a horizontal half wave wire
only 8-10 ft above ground on the 20m band. And that at the poorer half
of the solar cycle.

I suggest you keep your end fed half wave wire and use a small tuner
with it, such as the ZM-2 (http://emtech.steadynet.com/), and feed the
antenna wire directly from the tuner (no coax). It is very small,
versatile and has built-in an SWR indicator. It takes power up to
approx. 15W and has so far tuned into just about anything for me.

73 - Kris, TF3KX