Old August 25th 10, 06:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Howard James[_2_] Howard James[_2_] is offline

Default IF Transformers

I'm about to embark on a "vintage" valve (tube) receiver but have a
question (probably more questions later!!!) about the IF transformers.
Years ago I was able to purchase the transformers for 455 KHz but the
ones I want are for 9 MHz. I think I'll have to wind them. I don't have
any 10.7 MHz transformers. Any advice appreciated. I'm really interested
in the turns ratios as I'll be winding the primaries for a Q of about
100.
Do the inter-IF amp windings have the same turns ratio as the balanced
modulator detector transformer? I think not. Do I have to worry about
turns ratio for anode impedance to grid impedance and what are "rule of
thumb" ratios? Can I use FTxx toroids as opposed to say quarter inch
coil formers with screening cans? So many questions. It's great being a
radio amateur!
Thanks. Howard.