Old January 31st 05, 04:35 AM
B L R

Another hardware implementation is in the
ICOM PCR 1000 which has a "voice scan control".
The audio is "opened on a signals that are "modulated"
(from the help file)
Thus avoiding hearing digital signals during search or scan.
I vaguely recall some implementation of this.
So I guess you are looking for a means of detecting whether a signal
is "modulated".

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking for software the detects and ONLY
triggers on human voice. On AM/SSB comms, a level
squelch is nearly useless.
One implementation, in hardware, can be seen at:
http://www.qsl.net/kc7bum/hf_squelch.html
This is a very usefull device, but I am looking
for a way to do it in software.
-------------------------------
From a thread on the R20000 listeserve:

"
Message 703 of 714
From: W6AFK w6afk@a...
Date: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:53 am
Subject: Voice detection software?

Lou,

Voice squelches for HF are typically "syllabic squelches". They do not
react on noise but on the pattern of the signal. Simple hardware based
ones
try to detect the presence of voice (low frequency syllabic variations
associated with voice). Although not perfect, these types of squelch
circuits are fairly common on commercial and military HF equipment.

Noise based squelches are practically unusable on HF as they are
triggered
by any random noise... and as we all know, HF-AM/SSB sure isn't FM ;-)

However, I agree that it would be an interesting project if someone
created
a software-based syllabic squelch application that can be used with any
radio... any takers? ;-)

Bruno,
So I hope I am making my request clear,
I am looking for software that unlike the
normal VOX is a VOX that only responds to
human voice. My hardwr unit does a great (99%)
job of ingoring non-voice singals. FSK, and some
music, symphonies, fool it.

Terry