Old September 2nd 10, 12:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
bpnjensen bpnjensen is offline

Default What is the Best Direction to 'Point' a Sloper Antenna for DX ?

On Sep 1, 3:49*pm, dave wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
On Sep 1, 5:43 am, *wrote:
RHF wrote:
On Aug 31, 10:00 am, * *wrote:
On Aug 31, 7:11 am, * *wrote:

RHF wrote:
What is the Best Direction to 'Point' a Sloper Antenna for DX ?

Given an area where you could locate a Sloper Antenna
with a Tall Mounting Pole "Top-End-Feed-Point' and the
ability to move the Bottom-Far-End around the full circle
of 360 Degrees.

Where would you place 'Point' the Bottom-Far-End for the
best DXing ? [ N ? E ? W ? S ? ]& * * *WHY ?

Top-fed slopers in an open space are essentially omnidirectional. *Most
of the radiation happens at the feed point. The slantwire and the
support structure form a low Q mass that also radiates, equally well in
all directions.

- Dale P. has always recommended using his PAR end-fed as a sloper
with
- the feedpoint near the bottom and thus giving a nice short run to
- ground. *Good omni results and a high radiation angle. *I think this
- would work for me if I did not have such a battery of RFI generators
- around my home.
-
- Bruce

BpnJ,

Now that is very Smart of Dale Par [W4OP]
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3707
{Now... Why Didn't I Think of That !?!}

Plus -if- you run the Coax Cable directly underneath
the Antenna Wire; it would act as a Counterpoise
and a more uniform ground field.
- simplify - simplify - simplify -

Sort of the same approach that Wellbrook in the UK
recommends for a Far-End feed-point for a better
Inverted "L" Antenna.
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/longwire.html

But that would eliminate the Tall rotational Center-Point
for directional testing : Which is OK since I am only
looking for the best single Direction be it N? E? W? S?

I guess that the SWL Sloper Antenna Designs by
both Alpha Delta and Eavesdropper were built around
using the Side of a House* as the High-Mounting-Point.
* Taking what the Customer already has and building
on that; to make the installation as simple and easy
as possible. {A No Brainer}

While most Amateur {Ham} Sloper Antennas generally
have a Bottom Feed-Point except for those attached
to an existing Tower/Mast.

BpnJ - tyvm for the tip ~ RHF
* *.
* *.

I have an Alpha Delta DX-B half sloper. It feeds at the top. *That's why
it works so good. The current max is 40 feet in the air.- Hide quoted text -

How do you suspend the top?

50' telescoping mast and lots of Dacron

I like it! :-)