Old March 19th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
KB2SMS

Default Is CB dead?

"gb" wrote in message
"Dave Edwards" wrote in message
I have not had an 11 meter antenna up in the air since around 1972 or so.
I have a clear memory of all the heterodynes and yacking on every channel
that used to go on. I plugged one in again around 1985 or so, because a
buddy of mine had one in his boat, and used it keep it on channel 5. Not
much difference.
Anyway, last weekend...for yucks, I hooked one up to a longwire. I did
not hear a single person on any channel! Perhaps it is the cross
polarized wire antenna.
So, I shot a wire over a branch, and hoisted a CB vertical antenna
..Astron or Antron...something like that...a pretty good fiberglass
antenna!
Still, other than a general high noise level...no signals!
Channel 19 used to be jammed...even with a handheld whip antenna!

Is CB no longer??

The Citizens Band (CB) is one of several Personal Radio Services,
regulated by the FCC.

No **** Columbo. You are an asshat.