Old November 27th 08, 07:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
ken scharf ken scharf is offline

Default Passive grid linear

Anybody here ever build a passive grid linear amp?
That's where you simply terminate the grid of a tetrode with a 50 ohm
resistor and just drive it directly. Svetlana recommended that
configuration with their 4cx400, 4xc800 and 4cx1600 tubes, and it should
work well with more commone surplus 4cx250's.

I was thinking of using a 4:1 or 9:1 balum and increasing the grid
resistor value to 200 or 450 ohms to reduce the amount of driving power
required. With the 4cx250 a peak grid drive of about 50 volts is
required in class AB1. With a 50 ohm termination the driving power
would be 50 watts, with a 200 ohm termination 12.5 watts, and with the
450 ohm termination 5.6 watts. That's actually just the power sucked up
in the resistor, but the tube requires less than 1 watt of drive itself
in class AB1. Some power might be lost in the balum, so maybe the
actual driving power might increase by a watt or two. Since I wanted
this to be a final for a QRP rig the larger terminating resistance
looked like a better way to go. The only issue is how high can you go
with the termination resistance and keep the tube stable without
neutralization being required?