Old August 2nd 05, 03:02 PM
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

In article , ritchi50
@optonline.net says...

Info needed: Syntor X9000 150-170 Need 144-148 MHz. I bought a
Syntor X9000 Model/T99KX-037W, ID/T73KXJ7J04BK
and its on 150-170MHz Will it go on 144-148MHz easy??

FWIW: The 'T99X...' string of characters is not the radio's model
number. The field under 'ID' is. What happened is that Motorola got a
bunch of bum labels at one time. Rather than replace them, which would
have been costly, they simply ran with it, figuring that field techs
would be smart enough to know the difference.

Now, with that said: In order to even test that radio, you will
need an appropriate Syntor X9000 control head, mic, speaker, AND control
cable. NEVER connect an X9000 series radio to a standard Syntor control
head group! Magic smoke will be released.

As to the question of ham bands: The answer is 'maybe.' What is
required is that the receiver's RF deck be sweep-tuned, using a spectrum
analyzer/tracking generator combo OR an RF network analyzer, to
accommodate the 2m band. This is a tricky process that takes about an
hour to do properly (I know... I've done several).

Following the retuning, you will need to program the radio using
the appropriate software (no longer available from Motorola, as a
special 'ham' version was required to do ham frequencies), a RIB (Radio
Interface Box, about $100 or so if you buy one used), and the
appropriate programming cable (about another $50).

You will also, to use the software, require an old computer, no
faster than a 486/33, running TRUE MS-DOS. You cannot use a "DOS
Window" on a Windows system. It Just Won't Work. The preferred platform
is a 386/16 or /33. You can often find such older systems at used-
computer places for cheap.

Intimidated yet? ;-) If all the above sounds like too much and too
expensive, I would be happy to do the conversion for you. It'd probably
run about $50-$60 in labor, assuming there's nothing else wrong with the
radio, and assuming you have all the accessories (the control head and
radio make up a matched pair).

Details are available at http://www.bluefeathertech.com/rf.html

Happy hunting.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com