Old July 20th 03, 01:21 AM
G.Beat

"Dave Pitzer" wrote in message
I'm going up on my roof later this week to repair and paint my chimney.

I'd
like to take the opportunity to at least start an a.m. broadcast band
antenna (long wire??) using my chimney as the anchor for one end.

What kind of wire shoulds I buy?. Alumimum, copper? What gauge? What can I
use for insulators. What's a good way to ground it?

I have lots of trees in both the front and back yards for the "other" end.
Given this flexibility, about how long should the wire be. Would the wire
ideally be parallel with the (flat) terrain of the yard?

Directionality: Assuming most of the a.m. station I want to DX are in the
general direction of southeast of my house, should I run the wire SE - NW

or
NE-SW.

Downlead to receiver??? (receiver has external antenna input -- ground and
"hot".)

Is there a Web-site I could/should investigate or a more appropriate
news-group?

Dave -

There are many web sites on the Internet for Short Wave Listening (SWL) and
also at least a couple magazines - such as Bob Grove's Monitoring Times.
http://www.monitoringtimes.com

Universal Radio is a very good store that specializes in products for the
SWL as well
as the amateur radio hobbyist.
http://www.k7on.com/scan-swl/swl/

First, SAFETY is paramount in your antenna installation.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...t/safeswl.html

For antenna building I always suggest to beginners that they learn by
looking at
commercial products (especially the ones that work well)
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2205.html

http://www.alphadeltacom.com/pg7.htm

http://www.odxa.on.ca/beginnersguide/swhear.html

For AM broadcast (SWL) antennas, I have used everything from 20 gauge
speaker wire
to 14 gauge electrical wire (with choice of insulation color) used in
electrical conduit [not Romex]
http://www3.damien.edu/students/mski...e.html#Anchor5

A good ground rod is very useful for a proper installation.

Greg
w9gb