Old January 28th 08, 07:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SDGreen SDGreen is offline

Default Wide-Band Scanner Receivers -and- Wide-Band Active Antennas = Synergy & Utility

"RHF" wrote in message
On Jan 27, 11:30 pm, "sdgreen" wrote:
-
- Thanks RHF! Excuse the top posting, but your information
- is utterly magnificent...kudos.
-
- My thought on the MFJ 1020C active pre-amp is that such
- is self contained, easy to pack, has the appropriate controls,
- comes with a vertical telescoping mast 50+ inches and looks
- like it would be easy to setup and use.
-
- Wires are nice, but messy on luggage and sometimes
- airport security get curious.
-
- So the question is does the MFJ 1020C do the job.
-
- =======================

SD GREEN,

Yes the MFJ-1020C could "Do The Job" as you have defined it.

You have an RF Gain Control and Attenuator built into the
Icom IC-R20 and a Gain Control built into the MFJ-1020C.

Active Antenna Signal Overload - Back-Off on them to reduce
and prevent any Signal Overload of the Radio.

Remember - That you have to Tune both the Radio and the
Active Antenna to the same Frequency to use them properly.

Wide-Band Scanner Receivers -and- Wide-Band Active Antennas
- = Synergy & Utility = -

TIP - With a Scanning Wideband Radio you may find a Wideband
Active Antenna the better 'choice' versus an Active Antenna that
you will be Required to Re-Tune with each Frequency change.

Two Wide-Band Active Antennas :

You may want to consider the MFJ-1022 Wideband Active
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3109.html
Indoor Receiving Antenna : Coverage 300 kHz to 200 MHz
* Small Compact and Designed to be used Indoors
* "No" Tuning Required
* Adjust the Radio's RF Gain Control and Attenuator
to reduce and prevent Signal Overload

Another 'alternative' is the Kaito KA35 Active MW/SW Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/4835.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ250194482431
* Small Compact and Designed to be used Indoors
* "No" Tuning Required
* Adjust the Radio's RF Gain Control and Attenuator
to reduce and prevent Signal Overload
+ Two Antenna Elements Coverage : 100 kHz to 30 MHz
+ + AM/MW Ferrite Rod {Directional} LW+MW+SW3MHz
+ + Shortwave Whip {Non-Directional} SW 3MHz~ 30 MHz

Thanks RHF. I looked at the options you suggested, but I rather fancy using
the various adjustments to fine tune the signal. The IC-20 does have
satisfactory controls to tailor the signal. For my purpose, the IC-20
performs quite adequately and much, much better than either my Eton 10 /100
or my Grundig 400. SSB is especially outstanding.

It was a toss up between the IC-20 or the AOR 8300. In the end, battery life
was the deciding factor.

===