Old January 6th 05, 03:54 PM
Jack Painter

"redrum" ninguna wrote
Which is better?

is scantenna really omnidirectional? is it built for a better reception on
the most used frequencies or is really multiband?

who sells the better implementation of discone?

my needs on scanning are 25Mhz to 1.3 Ghz.

I own a uniden bc-796d and a bc-246t

Thanks for any help.

Greetings from Chile!

You will find that your scanning needs are probably quite narrower than the
capabilities of either receiver or antenna. The stolen trademark "Scantenna"
which is widely produced (although no longer by Radio Shack, who was forced
to discontinue marketing this design) has been highly favored by scanner
enthusiasts for it's confirmed superior performance over Diamond or any
other standard discone antenna. It is not better than a standard discone in
a few narrow bands, but in bands most popular for scanner receivers (118
Mhz - 860 Mhz) it is vastly superior. Other limitations of the Scantenna
design are it's lack of transmit capability, and weak open-rolled aluminum
tubing design, which fold over in winds 50kts. At least one hobbyist I
know personally claims it is slightly directional, and he has it mounted on
a channel-master rotator for this reason. I have owned several and confirm
the significant extended reception in most vhf and uhf bands over various
standard discone antennas.

73,
Jack Painter
Virginia Beach Virginia