Old April 7th 07, 01:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dee Flint Dee Flint is offline

Default RG-6 Coaxial Cable for Ham use

"Nod Dloyd" anon@anon wrote in message ...
I've recently read comments that several Hams have been using the RG-6
coaxial cable instead of the standard RG-8 or other commonly accepted
cables
such as RG-58.
One said that he buys this RG-6 at one of the home warehouse stores and
buys
it in 500 foot spools. He said it is far less expensive than the commonly
accepted cables we purchase from various Ham outlets.
Yes, it is 75 Ohm cable, but the users of same claim that it works quite
well and can withstand higher voltages than advertised and more than one
user claimed that they could run 1,500 watts through the cable with no
apparent deterioration.

The 75 ohm part should not (in general) be a problem. You could always use
a tuner if there is an issue. However, here are the things you should
check.

1. Loss per hundred feet (see the ARRL antenna book) for the frequencies
you are going to use. A long run at VHF/UHF might be an issue.
2. Check its rated power versus the power you plan to run. If it's TV
cable (which it probably is), I doubt that it is rated very high. I've
never checked so can't really say. However, just because some people get
away with running 1500 watts through it doesn't mean you should. The
deterioration may not be immediately evident. It may simply shorten its
life and you'ld be replacing it more often.
3. Check to see it's UV rating. Outdoor environments are hard enough on
coax. Some are designed for indoor use and others for outdoor use. If this
is the indoor kind, it will deteriorate much faster if used outdoors and you
will be replacing it more often.

The antenna system (and this includes the coax) is perhaps the most
important part of your setup. It's best to do it right so check on the
items I mention. Don't be like the classic case of the fisherman who buys a
$500 rod but puts on a $5 reel and nickel fishing line and then is always
cussing that the line snarls and the reel jams.

In other words don't be penny wise and pound foolish. Make sure that the
coax is suitable for the application.

If this is so, then I missed this open *secret*. Any input would be
welcome...especially the experiences of you who use it. I just happen to
have a spool of this cable in my garage that I purchased at an estate
auction some years ago and if it works as said, then I will cancel my
order
with The Wireman.

I haven't bought coax in a long time (probably due to replace the old by
now) but I believe his is rated for outdoor environments and UV exposure.

Dee, N8UZE