Old April 10th 04, 08:01 PM
Reg Edwards

Are you saying that every time you would switch bands or frequencies, one
might
have to change length of feedline? I am trying to picture that, is there

some
convenient solution to this process?

No, it is not necessary to change length of feedline for each band. Far from
it.

The tuner will allow you to cover most bands with one length of feedline. If
you are very lucky you may be able to cover all bands with one length of
feedline. No two antennas are alike - and it is just a matter of luck.

You will probably find that, initially, 2 or perhaps 3 bands are difficult
to tune using the tuner. By changing feedline length, up or down, you may be
able to reduce the number of awkward bands to 2 or 1 or perhaps none. As
length is changed some bands will get worse and others will get better.

It is always possible to find a length of feeder which will allow the tuner
to cope with ONE particular awkward band. It is a matter of experimenting
to find a length which maximises the number of bands which can be
accommodated by the tuner.

Hardly anybody is interested in ALL bands. Naturally, you will include your
favourite bands amongst the best. Some tuners are better than others.

Just to make sure we are on the same page he are you saying to use

this
choke balun just for operation on 160m if I want to use my Kenwood tuner?

I am
assuming that when using the Johnson Matchbox for the bands it was

designed for
I would connect the feed line directly to the Matchbox terminals, and that
feedline would connect directly to the antenna (no baluns, no chokes, or
anything).

Leave the 1-to-1 choke balun in circuit all the time, for all bands, and for
whatever tuner you are using.

The sort of problems you will encounter are exactly the same as getting the
G5RV to work on all bands by choosing an optimum length of feedline.
---
Reg, G4FGQ