Old August 24th 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Michael[_4_] Michael[_4_] is offline

Default How do you get a ground rod to 6 feet ?

I got a better ground than using a stake by doing something a little
unorthodox.

I buried an old channel 6 yagi antenna in under six inches of earth. It
made a pretty good ground. It was a lot better than a stake.

Michael

Dave Lemper wrote:
The soil in central Texas is called Caliche with a lot of clay,
CaCO3 & shale. Attempting to drive in a ground rod
yielded only a mushroom on top & blisters on me.
Local tool rental place has concrete bits, but maximum
length of 18 inches. Possibly longer bits are available in
a larger city.

Renting a back hoe is out.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Dave WB3DWE