Old August 24th 08, 11:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Mike Coslo Mike Coslo is offline

Default How do you get a ground rod to 6 feet ?

"Wayne" wrote in

As a last resort I will hack a trench with a pick and lay in the rod
at a shallow angle to the surface. Would this give an adequate
ground ? I could also bond it to an outdoor brass spigot
10 yards away or even to an anchor fence in the other direction.
Dave WB3DWE

-
In my opinion the trench would be ok, but I'll leave that to the
experts on the group.

However, I remember chiseling through the caliche to be annoying, but
not that difficult with the right tools. It can be done with a
"shooter" style shovel, but that is a bit more effort. However, I
doubt if you would ever get a copper rod driven through without some
major damage to the rod.

If the soil is permiable to water, you could try another of my hack
methods. Sweat a garden hose connection onto a piece of copper tubing.
Attach a garden hose to the fitting, and point the rod down in the place
you want to sink int. Then let it rip. In my area, we have a few inches
of topsoil, than a really hard clay, then rocky clay, followed by sandy
clay/sand. It will even move some rocks out of the way. The tubing
becomes the ground rod of course.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -