Old October 23rd 04, 04:50 AM
starman

bpnjensen wrote:

Hey, Linus, I do have a couple of questions for which you may know
answers -

(1) On crystal sets, is it better to use small-gauge enameled wire, or
larger gauge insulated wire for greater wrap spacing? On my sets, I
have used insulated large wire for spacing and ease of handling, and
they seme to work pretty well, but I wonder if the greater number of
wraps or closer spacing of the smaller wire would gain anything...?

(2) On the inductive secondary coil, which avoids a direct connection
to the antenna and also increases selectivity, is it better to have
that coil the same diameter as the main coil and make it fixed OR
moveable wrt to the main coil, or is it better for that secondary coil
to be smaller so it can slide within the larger main coil? I have
used the latter method with some success, but have not tried the
first.

Thanks, and wishing you much fun!
Bruce Jensen

Regarding the wire size and coil dimensions, do a web search on the
topic of 'Q' or 'quality factor' as it applies to making an RF inductor
(coil). The 'Q' of a coil will determine how selective it is. This will
determine how well you can tune a particular station without hearing
other interfering stations on different frequencies.