Old September 24th 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JB[_3_] JB[_3_] is offline

Default Carolina Windom revisited: 4 to 1 balun does nothing to choke RF ?

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
news
JB wrote:
Thanks for the NEC output, Cecil.

I showed how to optimize an OCF for a single band, e.g.
40m. If the 50/120 ohm transformer is link coupled, it will
cause a common-mode current node at the transformer on 40m.
Any antenna system can be optimized if one knows what they
are doing.

For instance, a shunt 1000 pf cap at the twinlead to coax
junction will optimize a G5RV for 75m.

Of course but I'm too lazy to run the numbers if it isn't my project. My
favorite single band wire antenna is the Dipole. How is OCF an improvement?
I also liked my Inverted L made out of a homebrew 9' bug catcher mobile
antenna with 25' horizontal clip on extension for 40/80 and clip on shunt
caps at the mobile mount. Works well in the campground.

Keeping the antenna matched to the coax DOES make a difference, considering
coax losses.