Old April 25th 10, 10:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio
Joe Bento Joe Bento is offline

Default Testing Photo Upload

On 2010-04-25 14:52:39 -0600, Brenda Ann said:

Very cool. Are these pure uranium or a blend?

They are uranium glass, or perhaps more commonly known in the States as
Vaseline glass. I don't know the exact content, but apparently this
type of glass will contain from 2 to 25% uranium dioxide.

Decorative figurines as well as marbles are still manufactured today,
though the companies that make this stuff are regulated due to the
uranium content. While there is no danger in handling th glass, I've
heard varying opinions regarding the safety of using dishes made of
this glass for food.

I own a geiger counter, but it does not detect alpha particles, which
is what these marbles would emit.

Joe