Old April 21st 17, 05:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
rickman rickman is offline

Default Antenna for Marine VHF

A kayaking friend was asking me about antennas for marine VHF radios.
Someone recommended this type of antenna.

http://www.amateurradio.bz/2m-70cm_v...e_antenna.html

I guess my first question is what would this be dual band? Is it
because it works over a range from 2 meters to 70 cm? Or is it somehow
tuned for both bands at the same time but not a lot in between?

This antenna would need to be vertically mounted, so would be a little
clumsy sticking three foot up from a kayak. Light weight would be
better than heavier. The construction plans call for stainless steel
material. Any reason to not use aluminum? Is diameter important? To
use aluminum I would want to use something thicker than 1/8 inch and
likely hollow. I believe TV antennas are usually made from 1/4 inch
tubing with maybe 1/16 inch thick walls. I guess that might make it
harder to bend without kinking. Would it be ok to make it with some
sort of couplers for the bends?

--

Rick C