Old November 1st 05, 07:13 AM
an old friend

Default Underground antennas

Tony Meloche wrote:
wrote:
I have an old Popular Science magazine around here somewhere that dates
back to the 1960's.There is an article in the magazine about a U.S.Navy
ELF (or whatever frequency they use) Antenna buried underground coast to
coast along the U.S.A./Canadian border.The Antenna is or was used for
U.S.Navy to commicate with U.S.Submarines underwater.
cuhulin

The antenna system was buried underground in the Upper Peninsula of
Michigan (roughly along the American/Canadian border, yeah). It was
decommisioned just recently, as they use different wavelengths for
communications now. It was indeed for communications with subs around
the world - my boss was a CMPO on a series of nuclear subs from
1967-1997, and can talk at length about the ELF system.

as a Yooper (a resident of the Upper Penisnsula of Michigan) the ELF
system is south of me and just barely within the UP, we were informed
the primary reason for the discomissioning of ELF is the various eco
gruops were making it too expenseive to use and maintain (both by court
chalangce and sabotage) but I am about 100 nw of the elf stie and still
a fair distance south of the Us canada border

Tony