Old October 23rd 03, 05:41 PM
Richard Clark

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:38:15 -0400, Deane Charlson
wrote:

Hello,

I have been using single-band half-wave dipoles for years. I would like
to try some multi-band wire antennas and compare performance. I am
considering using an Off Center Fed Dipole or a G5RV or a Carolina
Windom. Any thoughts or experiences with these antennas as compared to
a half-wave dipole?

Thanks & 73s,
Deane
WB2DCF

Hi Dean,

Keep your dipole and add a tuner.

There is nothing magical about other designs if their overall
dimension is roughly the same as what you have now. If you want to
work a lower band, try driving the shorted transmission line drop
against ground (that is, short the transmission line at ground level,
and drive that as a top loaded vertical, but make sure you have a
modest investment in radials at that drive point for ground).

There are only two things of interest with an antenna (beyond
aesthetics - if that isn't a contradiction in terms): drive point
impedance and launch characteristics. Impedance can often be taken
care of with a tuner (with care for Hi-Z issues at half wave
intervals) and launch characteristics are a function of physical size
and wavelength. When it comes to size, it won't much matter what name
the antenna is called (unless you are switching from vertical to
horizontal); hence the advice that if those antennas you are
considering are not significantly larger/smaller, then they will not
be significantly better/worse.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC