Old October 14th 03, 04:19 PM
Dave

Default Plans for B&W BWD-65 & BWD-90 Folded Dipole Balun & Terminating Resistor

I'd like to build a replica of the B&W 65 or 90 folded dipole antenna.

I know that there are a lot of arguments against this type of antenna
but for the convienience, I would like to have one anyway.

$220 - $250 seems a bit steep to buy one.

I have read L.B. Cebik's article on Terminated Wideband Dipoles,
http://www.cebik.com/wbfd.html but have been unable to find a source
for the 800-900 ohm resistor or plans for a suitable 16:1 balun.

The only resistors of that value and wattage I have found are
wirewounds which I assume are not suitable because they are inductive.

For an antenna to handle legal limit 1500 watts is it necessary for
the terminating resistor to be 1500 watts? It seems to me that you
would hope that the majority of the power would be dissappated by the
wire and not the resistor.

Does anyone know where I can find a plan for the balun (or a resonably
priced commercially made one)? How about the resistor?

Thanks,

Dave