Old November 16th 09, 06:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.cb,alt.radio.family,rec.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner
Bandwidth[_2_] Bandwidth[_2_] is offline

Default CB radios, ham radios, and frs.gmrs radios outlawed

radioguy whined:

okay, I found a little more information, which beings up some
more questions.

Especially since I might be visiting Canada again sometime in
the future.

As I understand it, U.S. law prohibits on CB and ham radio what
Canadian law now requires.

hmmm... This information states that it's a little bit different
way than the other article stated how the law was.

The other one stated Ontario is phasing out CB and ham radio
completely.

Maybe poor wording, which is easily misunderstood.

First, the misleading subject:
CB and Ham radio are NOT outlawed. There is simply a ban on
the use of hand-held communication devices while driving a car.
This applies to ALL such devices, and there is even a ban on
use of hand held entertainment devices while driving.

There are presently exemptions for use within business, including
truckers using CB radio, and for Amateur Radio. These exemptions
last for 3 years, to allow the industries a chance to develop
hands free options.

Now, the "phasing out CB and Ham completely" suggestion:
This appears to be a very poorly written piece of reporting. The
3 years will be a reference to the 3 years exemption offered to
professional users of CB and to Hams. After that time, ALL
those users will be expected to use compliant equipment. This
may simply be an existing CB radio with hands-free technology
added (possibly plugged into the microphone socket).

When the UK government said that they were phasing out "27/81"
CB equipment, many people thought it was an end to CB. It
was really just that all new equipment would have to meet the
new standards.

Try going direct...
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...08_e.htm#BK128
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sou...s_r09366_e.htm

For those not covered by an exemption, consider some hands-free
options which have been available for decades. Repeat after me...

Voice
Operated
Switch.
(aka VOX).

It is also fine to use microphones with a locking PTT, you
are allowed to lock a microphone while driving as long as
it is fixed down properly.
TTI appear to make a hands-free kit for CB radio.

Now your comment, "never heard of any accidents caused by people
talking on the radio"
What you hear about is what the media decide to feed you. Mostly,
this is a combination of what they (or the government) want
you to hear and what will improve their ratings or sales. There
are plenty of very common events that no longer get covered by
the media, they are no longer shocking enough to bump up ratings.

It should also be remembered that the mobile communications market
is massive. Not just devices, but rather profitable minutes
are being sold. Calls made while in vehicles will account for
a large portion of that income. Different reports give totally
different figures for accidents caused that way, but one side
want a total ban on mobile communications while driving, and the
other wants to keep their profits.

It cannot be denied that some accidents occur, but the level of
the problem appears to be unknown. We may not be able to trust
any figures, as those collecting them will have been paid by
someone who wants to get a certain result.

According to a 2001 report, compared to mobile phones, you are
7 times more likely to crash because of your car stereo and 7
times more likely to crash because of other occupants of the
vehicle. It also suggests that you are twice as likely to
crash due to adjusting normal car controls than using a mobile
phone. I could show you a photo of the result of a driver being
distracted by the gear stick (causing a head on smash). Clearly,
having to fumble about for any controls is a distraction.
Once you go down the route of banning anything which could be a
distraction, you end up with single person vehicles with
everything possible being automatic and absolutely no audio
system or other accessories.
Johnny Cabs?

Regards,
Peter.