Old August 14th 05, 09:09 PM
John

Dick wrote:
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:23:23 -0000, (Dave Platt)
wrote:

In article ,
John wrote:

License verification is not part of the FCC rules. However most
manufacturers of amps will supply instructions on how to modify them for
12/10 meter operation upon proof of license.

Yup. It's legal for a licensed amateur to perform such a modification
(no more than one amp per year or one per model per year, I can't
remember which), and it's also legal for an amateur to sell an amp
once modified to another amateur for amateur use.

The wording is no more than one unit of one model. Interesting that
you can build one from scratch, or modify a commercially built amp,
but you cannot build one from a kit capable of operation below 144

But you can build a kit and modify that. I used to use a Heath SB1000
amp. I enabled 10m from the start - just did not install the wire that
prevented it from working. That's about as simple as a mod can get and
still not cause a problem with the FCC about not readily modifiable to
operate on 27MHz.
John