Old October 29th 05, 12:42 PM
Scott

Default BFO, CW, sideband question

Actually, I think the convention is LSB below 9 MHz and USB above 9 MHz.
That comes from the fact that most old rigs used 9 MHz as the I.F.
Doesn't really matter though since our voice bands are 40M and 20M (CW
only on 30M), so by convention, we use LSB on 40M and below and USB on
20M and above. However, one can reverse this if one desires. It will
just confuse new people when they try to tune you in and wonder why they
can't get you tuned in...

Scott
N0EDV

Doug Smith W9WI wrote:
Jaggy Taggy wrote:

It is traditional for amateurs to transmit the lower sideband below
10MHz and the upper sideband above 10MHz. Hence, you need to use LSB to
receive SSB signals on the low bands -- the upper sideband simply
doesn't exist on these signals. And vice-versa on the higher bands.