Old February 13th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
D Peter Maus

Default Dial Cord Qick Fix

Frank Dresser wrote:
"D Peter Maus" wrote in message

One of the tricks Grundig and Telefunken used to employ, rather than
the usual dial cord (which brings to the project it's own unique set of
obstacles), was steel wire. It doesn't fray, has limited stretch, and if
the wheels are clean, doesn't slip, either. It needs to be tensioned
with a hefty spring, but in the absence of dial cord, which is getting
difficult to find these days, steel wire is a good alternative.

Bob's Antique Radios now has dial cord:

http://www.radioantiques.com/supplies.html

I haven't tried Bob's dial cord although I did order some other stuff a
couple of months ago. I got my current supply of dial cord from Antique
Electronics Supply and/or Ocean State Electronics. As far as I know, both
sources still have dial cord.

I used to have an old fishing reel with some line which was
indistinguishable from the dial cord Hallicrafters used in the forties and
fifties. I assume it was silk core with a black cotton braid.
Hallicrafters suggested "18 lb. test" dial cord as a replacement back then.
The modern fiberglass core cord ought to be at least as good. One of the
regulars at rec.antiques.radio+phono recommends dacron fishing line as dial
cord. I'd be a bit leery of pure nylon cord, as I've heard it will stretch
out more over time than other cords, although I've never tried it.

I've restrung the dial on my S 53A using steel wire instead of dial
cord, with exceptional results.

Half wire and half cord, like the Grundigs, with a tension spring in the
middle?

Frank Dresser

Actually, all wire, no cord. Tension spring on the wheel at the
tuning cap.

Works like a Champ.