Old April 12th 04, 11:42 PM
Len Over 21

In article , Robert Casey
writes:

Mike Coslo wrote:

What do I desire as far as packet operations go?

One thing I used to desire was essentially usenews without the bad words
and spam. But 1200 baud just doesn't cut it anymore. Slower as there
is a lot of dead time.

"1200 baud" (actually 1200 bits per second) is about equivalent to
1200 words per minute as by:

1200 bps = 120 characters per second at 10 bits per character in
the ASCII 8-level character coding commonly used now.
120 characters per second = 7200 characters per minute.
If one "word" consists of 5 text characters plus a space character
(a common measure of throughput in telegraphy the century
before the last one), then 7200 char/min = 1200 words/min.

If the average "fast" radiotelegraphy rate is 20 words/minute,
then "1200 baud" is SIX HUNDRED TIMES FASTER than
average "CW."

Given the two vastly different communication rates, which one is
the "slow" one?

LHA / WMD