Old March 18th 12, 03:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default QRT for decades now getting the urge to go online again

Hi guys,

Could you tell me what sort of wattage a soldering iron needs to have
to cope with soldering co-ax into PL509s?

The PL509 is a vacuum tube... I assume you mean a PL-259 "UHF" connector?

They need a good deal of heat delivered, due to the large metal mass.
A small iron will heat the connector slowly... by the time you manage
to make a solder bond, the cable itself will have been heated up a lot
and there can be problems with the dielectric melting. An iron with
higher wattage (and/or lots of mass, well heated) can make a quicker
job of it and let you make the solder joint more quickly.

I've had the best luck with a full-sized Weller soldering iron (the
140/200 watt variety). I think I recall doing one or two with a
Weller WTCP iron using a large tip, but it wasn't easy. Butane-fired
portable soldering irons are another possibility... some of these can
deliver a lot of heat.

Another possibility is to hold the connector and cable in place with a
clamping arrangement somehow, pre-heat the connector with a hot-air
gun (a hair dryer will do) and then finish the job with a
smaller-wattage soldering iron. By preheating the connector you
reduce its tendency to sink heat away from area that you're trying to
solder.

There are some alternative PL-259 connectors, which use a crimper and
a proper die set rather than soldering. See the discussion at
http://www.eham.net/articles/19257 for a look-see. A properly-done
crimp can be just as permanent as a solder junction... sometimes
better.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO