Old April 30th 12, 05:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Ferrell[_3_] John Ferrell[_3_] is offline

Default HF is Smokin

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 14:07:22 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

I did manage to find all the parts to a Radio Shock discone antenna,
which is now simulating a wet noodle on top of a 10ft 3/4" PVC pipe.
That's because I can't find a single 10ft mast section that doesn't
have a fatal dent or bend.

The 12ft(?) long VHF/UHF Comet fiberglass antenna survived the tree
fall, but will need to come down for some cleaning. The outside is
covered with green slime. Experience has shown that when the outside
is covered with green slime, so is the inside.

Maybe I should give up for the day, and just clean up the workbench.

Scale back a little....
I put up a fan inverted -V cut for 80-40-30 a while back just to test.
I use a tuner, as long as the transmitter likes it, I like it.
I hardly ever use 80m, no particular reason, I just don't.
The ends droop to whatever was convenient. I did not bother to
consider anything permanent. Most of the ends are secured at the
perimeter of the yard via nylon braided line attached to military
surplus fiber glass mast sections leaning into convenient trees. I
only worried about keeping the ends high enough to avoid contact with
people, tractors and deer in the yard.

It seems to work well on all bands I have tried. Although I prefer my
manual MFJ tuner, the internal tuner in my TenTec Jupiter seems to do
OK. I am not a contester, a DX hound or a perfectionist but I do like
to spend a little time on the air.

I would make up a coax balun of about 8 turns of coax on a milk jug
with connectors appropriate to the roof connections. The Dollar Store
here sells black vinyl tape for about $1 for two rolls so wrap the
balun up well enough to not become a future problem. Pick any cable
handy on the roof, assuming that they all go to the shack. When you
get to the shack, use the cable that has signals on it.

I don't know which direction is favored on any band nor do I really
have any idea which elements are active under any given circumstance.

It will keep you on the air and give you time to decide where you want
to go from here with out undue pressure!
John Ferrell W8CCW