Old September 15th 05, 01:34 AM
David

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

The article Jerry pointed me to starts looking like the commercial
antenna I was initially studying. Their unit though only had a 1/4 wave
above the coaxial sleeve.

From the SMA plug, the coax coiled around the radome must have been the
choke to help reduce RF currents radiating from the earth braid.
Then the 1/4 wave length coax forms the match followed by the expose
radiating section.

It looks like an open stub fed J-pole where the stub is enclosing the
inner element rather than being constructed as a rod next to it.

Does this seem reasonable ? (PS. I'm a beginner with regards to antenna
theory and would like to understand what is happening so that I can
experiment with some kind degree of success).

Cecil Moore wrote:
David wrote:

Thanks for the info. The open stub J looks like it should be suitable
for my application being ground independent, omni directional and
having low radiation angle.

Be sure to include a choking function at the feedpoint.