Old July 30th 05, 03:44 PM
Fred W4JLE

Back in the day, we received traffic from the station in Jim Creek while
submerged. They used a 13 mile array strung between 2 mountains. IIRC it was
on 18KC. CW only as any frequency shift would have put the finals out of
resonance. Much better methods today that remain classified.

I know we could receive it when submerged in the Red Sea.

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
I believe this method is still being used for communications to
submarines. It depends heavily on the very great skin depth and
relatively low attenuation in sea water at the VLF wavelengths used.

The buried antennas I was referring to operate, as far as I know, with
normal field propagation through the air, not through the ground.

So communication through the ground or even salt water is practical at
low frequencies. High frequency is another matter, though. But that
doesn't preclude using buried antennas for sky wave propagation.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL