Weird CW on 333 kHz

Old February 13th 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
cadillac_eldorado

Default Weird CW on 333 kHz

Has anyone else been hearing this Morse code on 333 kHz lately? It's
been on the last four days now. I'm new to CW and SWL, but when I
tune in this frequency, I think what I'm hearing is this:

..- ..- ... ....

What does that mean? It's just repeated, over and over, all day
long. Any ideas?
Old February 13th 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Clever Monkey

cadillac_eldorado wrote:
Has anyone else been hearing this Morse code on 333 kHz lately? It's
been on the last four days now. I'm new to CW and SWL, but when I
tune in this frequency, I think what I'm hearing is this:

.- ..- ... ....

What does that mean? It's just repeated, over and over, all day
long. Any ideas?

There are Morse translators on the web. If you heard right, this looks
like A U S H to me.

--
clvrmnky

Direct replies to this address will be blacklisted. Replace "spamtrap"
with my name to contact me directly.
Old February 13th 08, 05:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Doug Smith W9WI[_2_]

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 07:20:13 -0800, cadillac_eldorado wrote:

Has anyone else been hearing this Morse code on 333 kHz lately? It's
been on the last four days now. I'm new to CW and SWL, but when I
tune in this frequency, I think what I'm hearing is this:

.- ..- ... ....

What does that mean? It's just repeated, over and over, all day
long. Any ideas?

It's an air navigation beacon. (though I'm perplexed by the presence of
*four* characters "AUSH" - all beacons I'm aware of have 3 letters. I
wonder if you were tuned to the "wrong" side and hearing "inverted" Morse
- where the spaces were marks & vice-versa?)

Old February 13th 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
msg

cadillac_eldorado wrote:
Has anyone else been hearing this Morse code on 333 kHz lately? It's
been on the last four days now. I'm new to CW and SWL, but when I
tune in this frequency, I think what I'm hearing is this:

.- ..- ... ....

What does that mean? It's just repeated, over and over, all day
long. Any ideas?

Your NNTP posting host is from Oregon, assuming that you are listening
in Oregon,

Please see:
http://worldaerodata.com/nav/US/OREGON.php

and check the NDB (non-directional beacon) entries. You may have
mis-parsed the CW, I think that it may be 'LBH', eg:
.-.. -... ....

LBH is listed as a beacon.

Michael
Old February 13th 08, 05:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

cadillac_eldorado wrote:
Has anyone else been hearing this Morse code on 333 kHz lately? It's
been on the last four days now. I'm new to CW and SWL, but when I
tune in this frequency, I think what I'm hearing is this:

.- ..- ... ....

What does that mean? It's just repeated, over and over, all day
long. Any ideas?

That sounds like a beacon used in avaition. However they are three letters,
not four. There is a list of them at: http://www.dxinfocentre.com/ndb.htm

What you wrote is AUSH, which is not on the list, but there a YSH on
334 kHz in Smith Falls, Ontario.

There is as far as I can find no airport code AUSH.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Old February 13th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
The Shadow[_2_]

"msg" wrote in message
cadillac_eldorado wrote:
Has anyone else been hearing this Morse code on 333 kHz lately? It's
been on the last four days now. I'm new to CW and SWL, but when I
tune in this frequency, I think what I'm hearing is this:

.- ..- ... ....

What does that mean? It's just repeated, over and over, all day
long. Any ideas?

Your NNTP posting host is from Oregon, assuming that you are listening
in Oregon,

Please see:
http://worldaerodata.com/nav/US/OREGON.php

and check the NDB (non-directional beacon) entries. You may have
mis-parsed the CW, I think that it may be 'LBH', eg:
.-.. -... ....

LBH is listed as a beacon.

Michael

Very good Michael good detective work
The beacon is afoot Watson

LBH IS INDEED A NDB BEACON - LISTED AS 332 kHZ
GO TO URL:
http://www.airnav.com/navaids/

TYPE IN "LBH"
GET
LBH
LAKER NDB
PORTLAND, OR
Type: NDB
Class: MHW
Frequency: 332
Location
Lat/Long: 45-32-27.841N / 122-27-44.450W (45.5410669/-122.4623472)
Elevation: 125 ft.
WHAT IS A NDB BEACONLEARN ALL AT
URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-dir...al_beaconQUICK SUMMARYA
Non-Directional Beacon (NDB) is a radio transmitter at a known location,
used as an aviation or marine navigational aid. Each NDB is identified by a
one, two, or three-letter Morse code callsign.The shadow knows

Old February 13th 08, 08:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

On Feb 13, 8:44*am, (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) wrote:
cadillac_eldorado wrote:
Has anyone else been hearing this Morse code on 333 kHz lately? *It's
been on the last four days now. *I'm new to CW and SWL, but when I
tune in this frequency, I think what I'm hearing is this:

.- ..- ... ....

What does that mean? *It's just repeated, over and over, all day
long. *Any ideas?

That sounds like a beacon used in avaition. However they are three letters,
not four. There is a list of them at:http://www.dxinfocentre.com/ndb.htm

What you wrote is AUSH, which is not on the list, but there a YSH on
334 kHz in Smith Falls, Ontario.

There is as far as I can find no airport code AUSH.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel *N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog athttp://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/

Non-Directional Beacon (NDB) Photo Gallery
By Stephen P. McGreevy, N6NKS (Updated 2007)
http://www.auroralchorus.com/ndb/ndbgllry.htm
* Lists 333 kHz as "STI" Mountain Home, Idaho -USA-

NDB - "SMF" from Sheffield, UK on 333 kHz
http://www.ve3gop.com/pict.htm

North America - Radio Beacons - LF/MF Radio-Navigation Stations
NDB Station List Compiled by William Hepburn, LWCA
http://www.dxinfocentre.com/ndb.htm
Non-Directional {Radio} Beacon (NDB)
* Lists : 333 kHz "STI" -USA- IDaho
MOUNTAIN HOME-STURGEON
N 43* 06' 48" -by- W 115* 39' 31"
-aka- BOISE RADIO
Old February 14th 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
The Shadow[_2_]

Oopps the ng screwed up the Wikipedia URL for NDB's should be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-directional_beacon

Lamont

"cadillac_eldorado" wrote in message
Wow! Spectacular work, everyone! Yes, I am in Oregon, Portland,
specifically. Thanks for clearing this little mystery up for me.

URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-dir...nQUICKSUMMARYA

Weird Ron Baker, Pluralitas! Shortwave 1 October 15th 06 06:57 AM
weird guy on 5050 Eddie Kerwin Shortwave 3 May 6th 04 03:05 AM
Weird stuff... Steven J. Sobol Broadcasting 12 December 6th 03 06:30 PM
Weird - Stations on 44 *and* 45? Steven J. Sobol Broadcasting 16 August 10th 03 05:09 PM