Old June 29th 05, 07:02 PM
Big Kahuna

Default Experience driving x-country with CB

Rightio.

This is my observation and opinion after doing a round-trip from San
Francisco to Oklahoma City. The Eastern loop took me up through
southern Utah then back down to I-40 at Gallup, NM. Coming back, it was
I-40 all the way to Barstow then the "squiggle" over to I-5 North.

Observations and 2-cent bits:

--CB was useless and basically unlistenable off of the interstate. As
soon as I got off, every town of any size seemed to have a few folks on
big (illegal I'm guessing) super loud, echo base stations. Even when I
had the volume down, they'd nearly blow the speakers out when they keyed
up. They seemed to stick to channel 6 when I was on the interstate
leaving 19 pretty free. But when I got off the I--all hell broke loose.

Kinda like this forum: For every on-target post that actually has
something to do with CB, there are 10-20 rants, attacks, loud yelling,
off-topic junk, etc.

--Truckers were pretty cool and courteous. I only heard a few using
high powered radios with echo, annoying roger beeps, etc. Talk was
usually short and if it started into a discussion, they were quick to
jump to another channel (off 19). Right on.

So overall I'm kinda sad I couldn't use the radio off the interstates.
The superloud folks were pretty idiotic too; talking in a strange,
affected southern drawl voice, mouth so close to the mic it was muffled
most of the time, and using lots of fakey laughter (to just hold on the
modulation I guess).

Question: Is anyone using 2 meters or 70 cm on the highways? That
might be a more sensible way to go in the future....

-Kahuna
Old June 29th 05, 07:30 PM
Chad Wahls

"Big Kahuna" wrote in message
[...]

You are gonna have problems on Ch6 (AKA Superbowl) all the time. The locals
here talk on 7, it is tough sometimes if the superbowl goes into overtime.
They usually bleed 2-3 channels up and down. It's a bummer but we deal with
it I guess. I spend most of my time on sideband. 38LSB to be exact. Here
you do have some superpowers but their conduct is MUCH more refined, as
always there are a few bad appled, that's to be expected. No echo, some are
running modified Ham rigs and the audio is pretty clear. Those who try echo
get their wings clipped quick. If you have a sideband radio give it a shot,
you may like it.

Chad

Old June 30th 05, 03:03 AM
Jim Hampton

"Big Kahuna" wrote in message
[...]

Hello, Kahuna

Yes, some truckers are using 2 meters and 440 MHz (70 cm). Your best bet
may be to get into a group for truckers and ask them.

One thing that strikes me is where to mount the antenna. Most truckers are
using dual antennas - one on each side (perhaps mounted on the mirrors).
The big boost provided by such an arrangement is not gain - it is getting
omnidirectional coverage. Consider if you are using only one antenna and
talking to someone behind you a few miles. If you round a curve in a manner
that puts the trailer between your antenna and the person you are
communication with - uh, better make that the person you *were*
communicating with LOL.

This isn't going to work at VHF and above. Two antennas mounted far apart
are going to show strange radiation patterns.

I remember back in 1994 when I worked for a 2 way radio service, a
construction firm had a lot of dump trucks (as I recall, we did about 60
installs - that is a lot of dump trucks). They were unhappy with the work
another firm had done. The repeaters were dropping out on the trucks. The
problem was that the other firm placed the antennas on the top of the cab,
well below the level of the top of the tiltable bed. This blocked signals
from the rear and, depending upon the direction of travel of the truck,
could interfere with communications.

The problem was solved by simply moving the antenna to the highest point on
the vehicle and leaving sufficient slack in the coax that the truck could
tip the bed to dump its' load without damaging the coax. How this could
possibly be done with a trailer, I'm not sure at all. Perhaps some truckers
could point you in the right direction on this.

Also, bear in mind that cross-country travel will take some planning on
which repeaters you wish to use. Different repeaters often attract
different sets of users. Try and find repeaters that are popular with
truckers. Usually, you'll be able to use one repeater for a total distance
of anywhere from perhaps 30 to well over 100 miles, depending upon how close
you approach the repeater. Most of the 70 cm repeaters here have a range
approaching 60 miles in all directions. The two meter repeaters around here
have a similar range.

As to planning, bear in mind that cities are liable to have a *lot* of
repeaters. Should you mount an antenna on top of the cab, you'll have to
plan accordingly and switch repeaters more often, using repeaters that are
ahead (or to the side) of you on your journey. Usually, you should be able
to hit them 60 miles away or so.

To give you an idea of the repeaters and where they are located, check out
this URL:
http://www.artscipub.com/repeaters/

That should keep your head spinning for a bit LOL. Seriously, if you search
by cities on a route you often take, you'll find what repeaters are out
there on a band you are thinking of (2 meters/440 - and a lot more,
besides).

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim

Old June 30th 05, 10:49 PM
AKC owns this NG

Don't forget to stop at the petro in Girard, Ohio. Mopathetic needs
your money. Meet him in the toilet for fun.

Old July 2nd 05, 06:54 PM
Leland C. Scott

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:02:29 -0700, Big Kahuna wrote:

Question: Is anyone using 2 meters or 70 cm on the highways? That
might be a more sensible way to go in the future....

There are a few truckers on 2m. Most of those I've heard have regular
routes and they hop from repeater to repeater depending on where they are
to chat with friends along the way.

For general mobile use you'll want to monitor 146.52 MHz, the 2m national
simplex calling frequency. From my experience you won't hear much unless
you call "CQ" all the time.

When I had my Ham rig in my last vehicle I scanned the CB channels, the
MURS channels, the 2m call frequency and the FRS channels. After the CB
band the next most popular license free service seems to be those FRS
channels and those little hand-held radios you use on them. I very often
heard some activity as I was driving around. Most of it is either kids at
home or a group of people traveling together on the road and don't want to
put up with the crap on the CB channels. The only draw back is the limited
range, around 0.5 to 1 mile and maybe up to 2 miles if the local terrain
is level with few obstructions.

Regards,

Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO