Old April 11th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ken Bessler

Default Yet another microwave question

I'm upgrading my laptop's antennas to 15" long 7dbi gain monsters (2).
I don't have the materials (connectors) to do the job right so in true ham
fashion, I cobbled up a solution:

I have a 1.37mm od 50 ohm feedline (excellent quality) going up the
back of my screen. Currently I have the braid/center separated at the
end and soldered to my antennas. The new antennas have rp-tnc
connectors and I don't have the proper bulkhead connectors for them.

I found that a spare component (barrel diode) lead is a nice press fit
for not only the center socket on the antenna but also for the shield so
I plan on inserting the wire where it goes and soldering the coax to the
wires. This will result in 2mm of distance between where the coax is
stock (unseperated) and the new antennas' rp-tnc connector.

Now - if I used bulkhead solder rp-tnc connectors, I don't think I could
get that 2mm any smaller. As a matter of fact, I suspect, looking at
Amphenol's specs, the new distance where the coax is separated would
be greater. I can find no rp-tnc connectors for my micro coax so that's out.
I've got to solder. I've seen many examples of where feedline is fed to
a bulkhead connector like this, and sometimes they have 12mm of separated
line but that was in a VHF application.

So my question is this: If I keep my separated coax run (between the end of
the coax and the rp-tnc antenna connector) to 2mm or less, what will that do
as an impedance bump or otherwise at 2412 mhz? How critical is it at these
freqs?

Thanks for the help!

--
73's de Ken KG0WX - Kadiddlehopper #11808,
Flying Pigs #-1055, Grid EM17io,