Old May 18th 07, 08:23 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Listening to many HF utility stations?

I currently have a Sony ICF-7600GR, and was wondering, how you try to
hear activity on nets that are huge. I know on a shortwave radio that
you can basically only really hear one channel at a time and can't
scan like VHF/UHF but when I look at networks like the Mystic Star and
some other huge ones, it's like how do you see if any channel has
activity easily, when you have to basically type in each and every
frequency to the radio.

Old May 18th 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 18, 3:23 am, RedPenguin wrote:
I currently have a Sony ICF-7600GR, and was wondering, how you try to
hear activity on nets that are huge. I know on a shortwave radio that
you can basically only really hear one channel at a time and can't
scan like VHF/UHF but when I look at networks like the Mystic Star and
some other huge ones, it's like how do you see if any channel has
activity easily, when you have to basically type in each and every
frequency to the radio.

The Sony ICF-SW7600GR is not a scanner. It is a radio designed for
listening to world band broadcasts and ham transmissions. If you try
to listen to nets with this radio, you will be frustrated. That said,
the best way to check is to tune to the bottom of the frequency band
you wish to monitor and, while in the AM Mode "Norm," hold in the
inner tuning button [ + - ] and manually scan that band. There will
be no "chugging" or "muting" when scanning this way. You will then
hear any transmissions available at your location and you can then
stop and listen - only to one frequency at a time, however.

You asked how to check easily: there is no way with this radio. It is
not designed for that. For what you wish to do, you need a scanner. I
hope this is not the main reason you bought this one!

Best,

Joe

Old May 19th 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 18, 11:47 am, Joe Analssandrini
wrote:
[...]

Well, I like broadcasts also, but what would you use for nets because
I heard there really are no HF scanners due to the fact of how much
noise affects it.

Old May 19th 07, 03:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 18 May 2007 00:23:26 -0700, RedPenguin
wrote:

I currently have a Sony ICF-7600GR, and was wondering, how you try to
hear activity on nets that are huge. I know on a shortwave radio that
you can basically only really hear one channel at a time and can't
scan like VHF/UHF but when I look at networks like the Mystic Star and
some other huge ones, it's like how do you see if any channel has
activity easily, when you have to basically type in each and every
frequency to the radio.

You can practicefine tuning with these. They are pretty active. Find
the ones near you.

(NAT - A) North Atlantic Family A
3016.0 5598.0 8906.0 13306.0 17946.0

Canarias, Gander, New York, Paramaribo, Piarco, Santa Maria, Shanwick

(NAT - B) North Atlantic Family B
2899.0 5616.0 8864.0 13291.0 17946.0

Gander, Iceland, New York, Santa Maria, Shanwick

(NAT - C) North Atlantic Family C
2872.0 5649.0 8879.0 13306.0 17946.0

Gander, Iceland, Shanwick

(NAT - D) North Atlantic Family D
2971.0 4675.0 8891.0 11279.0 13291.0 17946.0

Arctic Radio (Baffin), Bodo, Churchill (Emerg's Only), Gander,
Iceland, Shanwick

(NAT - E) North Atlantic Family E
2962.0 6628.0 8825.0 11309.0 13354.0

New York, Santa Maria

(NAT - F) North Atlantic Family F
3476.0 6622.0 8831.0 11336.0 13291.0

Gander, Shanwick

(CAR - A) Caribbean Area A
2887.0 5550.0 6577.0 8918.0 11396.0 13297.0 17907.0

Barranquilla, Boyeros, Merida, New York, Panama, Piarco

(CAR - B) Caribbean Area B
3455.0 5520.0 6586.0 8846.0 11330.0 17907.0

Barranquilla, Boyeros, Cayenne, Georgetown, Maiquetia, New York,
Panama, Paramaribo, Piarco

(SAM - C) South American Central Area
3479.0 5526.0 8855.0 10096.0 13297.0 17907.0

Belem, Bogota, Brasilia, Iquitos, Leticia, Manaus, Maiquetia, Porto
Velho, Rio de Janeiro

(SAM - NE) South American North Eastern Area
3479.0 5526.0 8855.0 10096.0 13297.0 17907.0

Belem, Cayenne, Georgetown, Maiquetia, Paramaribo, Piarco, Recife

(SAM - NW) South American North Western Area
2944.0 4669.0 6649.0 10024.0 11360.0 17907.0

Barranquilla, Bogota, Maiquetia, Lima, Quito

(SAM - SE) South American South Eastern Area
3479.0 5526.0 8855.0 10096.0 13297.0 17907.0

Asuncion, Belem, Brasilia, Buenos Aires, Campo Grande, La Paz,
Montevideo, Lima, Porto Alegre, Port Velho, Recife, Salvador, Santa
Cruz

(SAM - SW) South American South Western Area
2944.0 4669.0 6549.0 10024.0 11360.0 17907.0

Antofagasta, Asuncion, Buenos Aires, Cordoba, Easter Is, La Paz, Lima,
Puerto Montt, Punta Arenas, Santa Cruz, Santiago, Talara, Ushuaia

(SAT - 1) South Atlantic Area 1
3452.0 6535.0 8861.0 13357.0 17955.0

Brasilia, Canarias, Cayenne, Dakar, Manaus, Paramaribo, Recife, Rio de
Janerio, Sal Island

(SAT 2) South Atlantic Area 2
2854.0 5565.0 11291.0 13315.0 17955.0

Canarias, Cayenne, Dakar, Manaus, Johannesburg, Paramaribo, Recife,
Rio de Janerio, Sal Island

(AFI - 1) Africa Area 1
3452.0 6535.0 8861.0 13357.0 17955.0

Abidjan, Bamako, Bangui, Bissau, Bouake, Casablanca, Conakry,
Canarias, Dakar, Freetown, Johannesburg, Kano, Niamey, Nouadhibou,
Nouakchott, Ouagadougou, Roberts

(AFI - 2) Africa Area 2
3419.0 5652.0 8894.0 13273.0 17961.0

Algiers, Kano, Gao, Niamey, N'djamena, Tamanrasset, Timimoun, Tripoli,
Tunis

(AFI - 3) Africa Area 3
3467.0 5517.0 10018.0 11300.0 13288.0 17961.0

Addis Ababa, Aden, Asmara, Bahrain, Benghazi, Bombay, Bujumbura,
Cairo, Comoros, Dar es Salaam, Entebbe, Hargeisa, Djibouti, Jeddah,
Khartoum, Kigali, Kisimayu, Male, Mogadishu, Nairobi, Port Sudan,
Sana'a, Seychelles, Tripoli.

(AFI - 4) Africa Area 4
2878.0 5493.0 8903.0 13294.0 17961.0

Accra, Bangui, Douala, Entebbe, Franceville, Garoua, Goma, Harare,
Kano, Kinshasa, Kisangani, Lagos, Libreville, Luanda, Lubumbashi,
Lusaka, Maiduguri, Maroua, N'djamena, Niamey, Niamtougou, Pointe
Noire, Port Gentil, Roberts, Sao Tome, Windhoek, Yaounde

(INO - 1) Indian Ocean Area 1
3476.0 5634.0 8879.0 13306.0 17961.0

Antananarivo, Beira, Bombay, Brisbane, Cocos Islands, Colombo, Dar es
Salaam, Harare, Jeddah, Kigali, Lilongwe, Lusaka, Madras, Mahajanga,
Male, Mauritius, Moroni, Nairobi, Perth, Seychelles, St.Denis,
Toamasina

(MID - 1) Middle East Area 1
2992.0 4669.0 5667.0 6631.0 8951.0 11375.0 17961.0

Aden, Amman, Ankara, Beirut, Cairo, Damascus, Jeddah, Kuwait, Manama,
Odessa, Sana'a, Simferopol, Tehran, Tbilisi, Yerevan

(MID - 2) Middle East Area 2
3467.0 5658.0 10018.0 11300.0 13288.0 17961.0

Abadan, Almaty, Ashkabad, Bishkek, Bombay, Delhi, Dushanbe, Kabul,
Karachi, Kathmandu, Kuwait, Lahore, Male, Muscat, Odessa, Samarkhand,
Seychelles, Tashkent, Tehran, Tbilisi, Urumqi, Yerevan

(MID - 3) Middle East Area 3
2944.0 4669.0 6631.0 8951.0 11375.0 17961.0

Aktyubinsk, Almaty, Bishkek, Dushanbe, Kuybyshev, Kzyl-Orda, Moscow,
Samarkhand, Tashkent, Uralsk, Yerevan

(EUR - A) Europe Area A
3479.0 5661.0 6598.0 10084.0 13288.0 17961.0

Arkhangelsk, Beirut, Berlin, Kiev, Lvov, Minsk, Moscow, Murmansk,
Odessa, Riga, Simferopol, Sofia, St. Petersburg, Syktyvkar, Tunis,
Velikiye, Vilnius, Vologda

(NCA - 1) North Central Asia Area 1
3019.0 5646.0 13315.0 17958.0

Ivdel, Khanty-Mansiysk, Moscow, Syktyvkar, Vologda

(NCA - 2) North Central Asia Area 2
2851.0 4678.0 6592.0 10096.0 17958.0

Barnaul, Irkutsk, Khanty-Mansiysk, Kirensk, Kolpashevo, Krasnoyarsk,
Novosibirsk, Podkamennaya, Surgut, Yeniseysk

(NCA - 3) North Central Asia Area 3
3004.0 5664.0 10039.0 13303.0 17958.0

Chita, Chulman, Ekimchan, Irkutsk, Kirensk, Khabarovsk, Pyongyang,
Ulaanbaatar, Ulan Ude

(EA - 1) East Asia Area 1
3016.0 6571.0 8897.0 10042.0 17958.0

Beijing, Guangzhou, Hailar, Irkutsk, Jinan, Kunming, Lanzhou,
Pyongyang, Shanghai, Shenyang, Taegu, Ulaanbaatar, Urumqi, Wuhan,
Zhengzhou

(EA - 2) East Asia Area 2
3485.0 5649.0 5655.0 8942.0 11396.0 13309.0 17907.0

Guangzhou, Irkutsk, Pyongyang, Ulaanbaatar

(SEA - 1) South East Asia Area 1
3470.0 5670.0 6556.0 10066.0 13318.0 17907.0

Bali, Bangkok, Colombo, Calcutta, Dhaka, Guangzhou, Jakarta,
Kathmandu, Kuala Lumpur, Kunming, Madras, Male, Singapore, Yangon

(SEA - 2) South East Asia Area 2
3485.0 5649.0 5655.0 8942.0 11396.0 13309.0 17907.0

Bali, Bangkok, Guangzhou, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh, Hong Kong, Jakarta,
Kuala Lumpur, Kota Kinabalu, Manila, Seoul, Singapore, Tokyo,
Vientianne

(SEA - 3) South East Asia Area 3
3470.0 5733.0 6556.0 10066.0 11396.0 13318.0 17907.0

Bali, Brisbane, Jakarta, Male, Singapore, Ujung Pandang

(CEP - 1/2) Central East Pacific Areas 1/2
2869.0 3413.0 5547.0 5574.0 6673.0 8843.0 10057.0 11282.0 13261.0
13354.0 17904.0

San Francisco

(CWP - 1/2) Central West Pacific Area 1/2
2998.0 4666.0 6532.0 6562.0 8903.0 11384.0 13300.0 17904.0

Hong Kong, Manila, Naha, Port Moseby, San Francisco, Seoul, Taipei,
Tokyo

(NP - 3/4) North Pacific Area 3/4
2932.0 5628.0 5677.0 6655.0 8915.0 10048.0 13294.0 13339.0 17904.0
17946.0 21925.0

San Francisco, Tokyo

(SP - 6/7) South Pacific Area 6/7
3467.0 5643.0 8867.0 13261.0 17904.0

Auckland, Brisbane, Nadi, Pascua (Easter Island), Port Vila,
Rarotonga, San Francisco, Tahiti, Wallis

Old May 20th 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

[...]

I do not own or use any scanning radios.However, I believe you are
incorrect when you state there are no HF scanners, but you'd have to
double-check me. There are a number out there that would seem to be
suitable for your desires. Unfortunately, of course, they are somewhat
expensive. There are several models, made by AOR, Alinco, ICOM, or
Yaesu that might be suitable. If you are seriously looking to scan the
high frequencies, I suggest telephoning AES and/or Universal Radio and
talking with someone there. (AES would probably be more helpful; they
have been so, at least in my experience.)

If you wanted a non-scanning radio suitable for utilities, there are
two ways to go: the Sangean ATS 909 with an outdoor antenna and an AC
power supply is a good one for utilities and hams because it has two
bandwidths and good dynamic range. (It is not as good for broadcast
reception as the Sony ICF-SW7600GR.) I am hesitant, however, to
recommend ANY Sangean product as I have owned/still own four of their
products, none of which is truly a good performer or constructed very
well. Thus I have a sour taste in my mouth regarding Sangean. Others,
of course, will have differing experiences. Note that I have never
owned an ATS 909 so you'd want to inquire of people who do own this
model for their opinions. The other, and better, way to go, in my
opinion, would be the ICOM IC-R75 tabletop receiver, again with a
suitable (and significant) antenna. With appropriate (optional)
filtration, this radio should almost totally satisfy your needs. It is
the least costly tabletop radio suitable for utility/ham reception
that is currently being manufactured.

The above is, of course, my opinion only, and you should get other
opinions, especially from those who do actively monitor utility
broadcasts.

I do wish you the very best of luck. Radio is indeed a great deal of
fun, isn't it?

Joe

Old May 20th 07, 03:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 20, 1:04 am, John Kasupski wrote:
On 19 May 2007 16:43:56 -0700, Joe Analssandrini

wrote:
I do not own or use any scanning radios.However, I believe you are
incorrect when you state there are no HF scanners, but you'd have to
double-check me.

There are lots of radios into which you can program HF frequencies and
then have the radio scan through the memory channels. You're not going
to get one for chump change, though.

This is not to say you can't enjoy utility station monitoring without
a rig that scans a hundred or so memories, because I myself did it for
years, the hard way, by wearing out the numeric frequency entry keys
on a DX-394. Before that I tried it with a Sangean ATS-803A portable
and doggone near drove myself nuts until I got the DX-394 and
relegated the Sangean to SWBC listening use.

If you really want to monitor a relatively large group of frequencies
that's used for something in particular (Mystic Star, HF-GCS, COTHEN,
MARS, or whatever) and not miss anything, you're going beyond casual
listening and getting into some pretty serious utility monitoring. The
typical inexpensive portable HF receiver simply isn't going to cut it,
these radios are consumer-grade items designed with casual SWBC
listeners in mind. They're for people who just want to listen to the
news on the BBC or hear some German music on Deutsche Welle, and
listening to utility stations is a whole different ballgame. Even some
of the less expensive tabletop rigs aren't going to cut it. You really
are a lot better off with a serious radio to do serious UTE listening.

Some of the radios I know do this are the Yaesu VR-5000, Drake R-8B,
the Ten-Tec Argonaut V and RX-340, and the Icom R9500, R-75, even the
R-20 if you're after a portable for a specific reason.

Most HF ham transceivers also seem do this, including both of mine
(Kenwood TS-50S and TS-450SAT), and the Icom IC-706MKIIG and Yaesu
FT-990 rigs the club I belong to has.

John Kasupski, KC2HMZ, Contributing Editor
Popular Communications Magazine

Dear John,

Your reply is spot-on accurate. I had recommended to "RedPenguin," the
person who originated this thread, the Sangean ATS 909 as a relatively
inexpensive way to go but really I would (and did) recommend the ICOM
IC-R75, suitably filtered and with a proper antenna, as the least
costly means of monitoring utility transmissions.

Less costly radios, not designed for monitoring utilities, will cause
more frustration than pleasure in that regard, at least in my opinion.

Best,

Joe

Old May 31st 07, 09:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
[...]

Hmmm, I really would love to get into hardcore utility monitoring, but
it was hard enough for me to get my ICF-7600GR, so I don't think I
will be able to get some of the nicer radios for a long time. The one
was like almost $5000, I was like holy heck. Radio Monitoring of any
kind seems nice, but it seems like it can get extremely expensive for
the really nice stuff.

Old May 31st 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Joe,if I float that married Irish woman wayyyyy over yonder across the
big pond in Bognor Regis,England,,,,, moola for a ''scanner'' [[you know
what I mean'']] would the U.S.fed govt Spies crap on me? I certainly
don't want to get that married Irish woman in trouble!
cuhulin

Old May 31st 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I don't go to hard core porn,,,, but,I like to LQQK at some nice naked
wimmins two or ten times every year.I am only human,I think.
cuhulin

Old May 31st 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article .com,
says...

wrote:
[...]

You can buy any number of good used sets for under $700, any of them
would work fine for UTES:

Icom R-70 R-71a
Jrc NRD-525 NRD-535
Kenwood R5000

Ham transceivers under $1000, some way under:

Icom 735, 745, a bunch more Icom models.
Kenwood TS 440, 450, 570D, 950, and a few more
Yaesu FT757, 767, 890, 990.

There are a lot more, those are the most common ones.

Utility Stations Bill Shortwave 3 December 19th 06 07:57 PM
utility listening Roger Shortwave 12 March 10th 06 03:12 PM
Klingenfuss Utility Stations Book ? Robert11 Shortwave 0 January 15th 06 06:12 PM
"Klingenfuss 2005/2006 Guide to Utility Radio Stations" Thopughts On ? Robert11 Scanner 1 December 11th 05 07:33 AM
Shortwave Listening is the Hobby of Listening to ShortwaveRadi... [email protected] Shortwave 0 October 20th 05 11:25 PM