Old December 1st 11, 07:25 PM posted to rec.radio.swap

Default Trade: HW-101 for something awesome

About three years ago, I completely restored a Heathkit HW-101 because
I was fascinated with 70's vintage SSB radios and that model seemed
the most approachable. I has lots of fun over the many hours I spent
with it, crafting techniques for doing the work, coming up with
low-impact mods for improving performance, and especially lighting it
up the first time and only having one little soldering issue before
the HF bands roared in.

Here is a sample of some of the things I did, just for the fun of it:

- one by one, I removed each PCB and cleaned it in a concoction that
removed dust and wax. Sensitive components (coils,etc) were removed
prior to the wash
- replaced EVERY SINGLE RESISTOR, and all polarized capacitors
- I moved the crystals on the sideband selection circuit to the other
side of the PCB (got away from hot tube!) and added capacitors to
tweak them back to the right frequency
- modulator diodes replaced with 4-way matched HP diodes
- Especially crazy, I replaced the filters with INRAD filters.

So, I finished it off, tested it, and put it on the shelf. I really
don't operate much, and even then, prefer to use my Ten-Tec.
It is sitting around doing nothing.

I have had a similar thing happen with a H.H. Scott amplifier I
restored. THAT one was really my masterpiece. After keeping it in my
living room for a while, I sold it on eBay. Now, the thing with the
HW-101 (and the H.H. Scott) is that they really don't sell for much.
So, when I got about $150 for the amplifier, I wasn't surprised. What
I was COMPLETELY surprised by was a letter I got weeks later from the
buyer. To paraphrase, he loved the amplifier and felt the quality for
the restoration was hardly justified by the money he paid for it, so
he included a check for $150 more!

The additional money wasn't as great as the token of appreciation. I
honestly got alot more out of that note than the $150. It was awesome
and rare to get such a thing.

I'm am exchanging a radio for something with low value but still rare
and awesome. What could this be?

Examples of Stuff Accepted:
A video of you playing a face-melting guitar solo
A spectacular lump of coal
A battery from the 1800's
Artwork of thine own hand
Some surplus thing that just looks awesome
Unusual clocks
Polished wood
An enormous nut - I mean freaking huge!
Backflips
A bottle of crude oil

Examples of Stuff Not Accepted:
Money (except if it is a really cool banknote)
Swaps for any common electronic equipment
Nothing
Meat Products

Of course, you'll want proof of the existence of this radio. In about
a week I shall upload some videos of this to YouTube and add links to
this post. This ad will be open for 3 weeks and the best suggestion
will be chosen.

Good luck!
Old March 12th 12, 09:37 PM posted to rec.radio.swap

Changed all resistors, uprated many of them. Applied Heathkit change
orders and notes. Changed temperature compensation capacitor.

David Goncalves

How did you fix the drift. * I love these radios but the drift is nasty in
almost all of them.
The VFOs output frequency drifts "up" for an hour

Old March 17th 12, 04:06 PM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
[...]

The guy is an idiot and is being sarcastic.

Trade: HW-101 for something awesome Dave Goncalves Boatanchors 1 October 12th 14 04:22 PM
AWESOME MOVIE! [email protected] Shortwave 0 April 13th 05 10:14 PM
Awesome trainer! KØHB Policy 61 December 14th 04 07:36 PM
Awesome app note John Miles Homebrew 10 June 7th 04 01:52 PM
Awesome app note John Miles Homebrew 0 June 5th 04 05:27 PM