Old May 14th 04, 06:04 PM
Jack Twilley

Default Who has an ideal horizontal dipole for HF?

Old May 14th 04, 08:22 PM
Richard Clark

On Fri, 14 May 2004 10:04:38 -0700, Jack Twilley
wrote:
Anyone have any personal, real-life experience with a
full-size, full-height HF dipole? Is it worth the cost?

Hi Jack,

There is no such thing. Full size and Full height for a band that has
a frequencies spanning 15:1 is a contradiction. One antenna must be
either significantly fuller sized or fuller heighted at some
frequency, or suffer at another frequency as lesser sized or lesser
heighted for the same reason.

You want a 10M dipole antenna up half a wave for 160M? Is half a wave
full height? Is a 10M dipole full sized?

Describe your needs first, and then ask what would be reasonable.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old May 14th 04, 09:26 PM
Jack Twilley

Old May 14th 04, 11:16 PM
Richard Clark

On Fri, 14 May 2004 13:26:45 -0700, Jack Twilley
wrote:

I am interested in people who have first-hand experience with a
full-length dipole mounted at the full height for any particular
band. A 10M dipole is full-sized if it's the full length and mounted
at the full height. Ditto for 160M.

Richard Describe your needs first, and then ask what would be
Richard reasonable.

I hope the clarification above is enough -- if not, please let me
know.

Hi Jack,

This is still inspecific. "Full height" is actually meaningless.
Let's look at a 40M dipole antenna and choose a modest 20° launch
angle to compare against.
5M over real ground:
-2dBi
10M over real ground:
1.29dBi
15M over real ground:
3.75dBi
20M over real ground:
6.27dBi
25M over real ground:
8.08dBi
30M over real ground:
7.67dBi
35M over real ground:
7.1dBi
40M over real ground:
7.52dBi

Well, let's see - best gain is NOT at any cardinal point such as
quarter wave, half wave, three quarter, nor full wave above ground ANY
of which "could" be interpreted as "full height."

This exercise is easily within the limited feature set of the free
distribution of EZNEC.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old May 15th 04, 01:44 AM
Dave Holford

Jack Twilley wrote:

So who actually has the space and resources to set up an ideal
horizontal dipole on HF with the full length and height as specified
in all the formulas? Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to set up a
vertical if you could install something that high off the ground?

The only thing I've seen personally that looks like it meets the ideal
is a small station tucked into the northeast cloverleaf of an exit off
Interstate 93 near Boston, MA, and the station appeared to be a marker
for Logan. Anyone have any personal, real-life experience with a
full-size, full-height HF dipole? Is it worth the cost?

Jack.
- --

Interesting question. I have seen the dipoles used for HF communications
with transatlantic air traffic from Gander, or at least one site which
IIRC was the receiver site. Since this, and similar installations around
the world, need reliable communications at a number of frequencies to
provide coverage over a wide area and while they may have a kilowatt or
so for transmit; on receive they are working with a station whose
transmitter is unlikely to exceed 400W PEP and whose antenna is at best
a poor compromise since the days of aircraft wire antennas are long
gone.

I don't know about other sites, but Gander certainly used to have a
number of just plain old dipoles; and I have seen other simple dipoles
at several other airports and airline installations so one would expect
a fair amount of operational data to have been gathered over the years.

It seems to me that most of the professional vertical installations I
have seen are those which tend to require operation at multiple
frequencies with a single antenna - i.e. shipboard and military
installations, although there used to be quite a lot of verticals at
Coast Guard stations for the 2 MHz band.

Re. the installation at Logan; I would be inclined to believe that what
you are seeing is a top loaded "T" configuration for a Low Frequency
(200 - 400kHz) Non-Directional-Beacon.

Dave

Old May 15th 04, 03:03 AM
Tam/WB2TT

"Jack Twilley" wrote in message

"Richard" == Richard Clark writes:

Jack Anyone have any personal, real-life experience with a full-size,
Jack full-height HF dipole? Is it worth the cost?

Richard Hi Jack,

Richard There is no such thing. Full size and Full height for a band
Richard that has a frequencies spanning 15:1 is a contradiction. One
Richard antenna must be either significantly fuller sized or fuller
Richard heighted at some frequency, or suffer at another frequency as
Richard lesser sized or lesser heighted for the same reason.

I regret that my message was insufficiently specific. I didn't say
"all-bands HF", and I assumed that the potential respondents would
know that I knew that no single dipole is ideal for more than one band
(well, more than one *frequency*, but one band is close enough).

Richard You want a 10M dipole antenna up half a wave for 160M? Is
Richard half a wave full height? Is a 10M dipole full sized?

I am interested in people who have first-hand experience with a
full-length dipole mounted at the full height for any particular
band. A 10M dipole is full-sized if it's the full length and mounted
at the full height. Ditto for 160M.

Richard Describe your needs first, and then ask what would be
Richard reasonable.

I hope the clarification above is enough -- if not, please let me
know.

Richard 73's Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Jack.

-----
Jack,

Leaving out the question of "full height", I found that a 20m dipole at 55
feet was outperforming a Junior tribander at 40 feet for distances beyond
2000 miles. Broadside to the dipole, of course.

Tam/WB2TT

Old May 15th 04, 05:43 AM
Jack Twilley

Old May 15th 04, 05:59 AM
Jack Twilley

Old May 15th 04, 06:08 AM
Richard Clark

On Fri, 14 May 2004 21:43:03 -0700, Jack Twilley
wrote:

I'm not familiar with twenty-degrees as any particular canonical
value. As for what I meant by "full height", one-quarter wavelength
minimum should serve.

Richard This exercise is easily within the limited feature set of the
Richard free distribution of EZNEC.

I do not doubt that your calculations are within the capabilities of
EZNEC. However, I'm more interested in real-life experience, not
computer-generated simulations.

Hi Jack,

20° serves as well as any and at least offers a basis of comparison.
This again turns to the matter of the inspecific. You cite no
particular application (DX v. NVIS) no particular band (that is
heavily swayed by ground given ground characteristics vary over
frequency) and offer a quarter wave height as "full height" which by
most standards is generally accepted as mediocre at best where half
wave height (twice full height?) offers better performance (which is
borne out in testimonial) and where higher sometimes offers worse
performance (also borne out in testimonial). Such issues are easily
isolated and compared through modeling and are consistent with
experience.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old May 15th 04, 12:49 PM
Ron

On Fri, 14 May 2004 20:44:40 -0400, Dave Holford
wrote:

[...]

I worked at a station in Alaska that had a big antenna farm. The
station was designed to communicate with aircraft over distances from
zero to thousands of miles. We had very few limitations over what we
could do or build with unlimited space, and had two rhombic's for
communicating with two flights that took the same track every day.
Communication was mostly CW five letter group encryption. The
transmitters and receivers were separated by 20 miles or so.

The operators could choose which transmitter/antenna combination gave
them the best performance. The dipoles seemed to be the preferred
antenna. The rhombic's (the king of HF antennas) were seldom used,
probably because of the radiation pattern. The antenna is the most
unpredictable part of any installation.

I was the guy that tried to neutralize the big triodes, so you know
that was a while ago. (1950's). The globe was about the size of a
volleyball.

Ron, W1WBV