Old January 23rd 05, 01:11 AM
SR

Default WABC 770 am NYC was off the AIR

gaballsac wrote:
"SR" wrote in message

Yesterday evening around 9:00 pm, I turned into WABC 770 am, and no
signals from that station was being broadcast.

I even turn on my other radio to be sure.

I keep my radio on all night. This silence went on until morning. But
by the time I got up I was to sleepy to listen to any announcement if any.

Does anyone knows what happened?

73

http://spaceweather.com/

A giant sunspot 720 erupted again today (Jan. 20th at 0700 GMT),
unleashing a powerful X7-class solar flare. The blast hurled a coronal
mass ejection (CME) into space and sparked the strongest radiation
storm since October 1989. AURORA WATCH: A fast-moving
coronal mass ejection (CME) hurled into space by this the Jan.
20th solar flare might sweep past Earth today.

The following night around 1:00 am, in New York City the silence
happened again. Sometimes, the signal would come in for a few seconds
and then back to silence most of the time.

A few hours later that night, the signal came in again, but this time
WABC 770 broadcast music which they never really play music and it
lasted for about 5 minutes. I figured that they must know about this
strange silence and probably wanted to fill the air with music because
their programming is all messed up.

So I keep my radio on hoping to hear someone saying something like: "
WE ARE EXPERIENCING TECHNICAL PROBLEMS" Finally and announcer did come
on to give radio identification. Then he got cut off by the silence.
He did not mention anything about technical problems.

The next day I called a friend in Manhattan who also listens to that
same station, and he also noticed this strange silence.

I also notice that the station is able to gets on the air with no
problems, they never mention anything about this silence problem.

And what is also strange is that Art Bell not too long ago mention that
something strange is happening on AM radio that involves solar flares.

If that not strange enough, this silence is usually happening when Coast
to Coast should be on the air anyway.

Why is it happening only on that station?

I am puzzled!!!

73!