Old September 14th 03, 02:38 PM
Frank Dresser

"Jack" wrote in message

Gawd... I recall back in the 60's when I was just beginning. It was
a very human woman's voice in Spanish speaking endless 5 number cipher
groups. I recall the first time I heard her. Mid-afternoon one summer
in 1967 on something close to 8 Mhz. My receiver was a 1937 A****er
Kent console my father recapped and gave me.

The one that intrigued me the most was a signal that sounded like a
inebriated bagpiper playing the same weird series of notes over and
over, broken by infrequent short bursts of what sounded like scrambled
speech (inverted sideband?). It would show up at a wide assortment of
HF frwquencies, most often around 10-10.5, 11-12, 14-15, and 17 Mhz. I
don't know if it was riding propagation or what; seemed to be random.
Sometimes several different bagpipes were playing at once on different
freqs. Sometimes it appeared broken, with tones missing or slight
variations of the sequence. This occurred more frequently as the
years went on. I first heard it around 1965, but it was still around,
in one variation or another, until at least 1978, when I was forced to
"get a life" and stop SWL'ing.

Anybody think they know the one I'm referring to? (I wish I still had
the tapes I made of it).

I think I recognize it, or something like it. There's some recorded sounds,
and links to other sites with recorded sounds, he

http://www.wunclub.com/

On a slightly different note, there was what appeared to be a PTP
relay for a paging service that was heard on oddball HF freqs between
14 and 18 MHz at different times of day, ca.late 60's, early 70's.
"Rochester Tel-Page, KEC519. We have no messages for our subscribers
at this time. KEC519." It had a sister station, KEC518, uttering the
same repetitive message. No records in the FCC archive, but KEC518
belonged to an Arlington, VA based paging (Type CD) service (canceled
in 1999).

I used to drive my parents nuts listening to these weird
utility/spy(?) stations for the rare message traffic between the
repetition..

Yeah, I'm kinda strange. g

73

Jack

--

14 to 18 MHz sounds low for a pager system. The old Aircall system was in
the low VHF band. Do you think your radio was tuning in low VHF with an

The old pager system was still in use at a hospital about a mile away from
me, back in the 70s. I guessed what it was from the selective tones and
messages. It was operating somewhere around 40 to 45 MHz. Sure sounded
primative!

Here's a link:

http://www.smecc.org/richard_florac_..._fm_radios.htm

Frank Dresser

Old September 14th 03, 03:00 PM
Clint

have you heard, then, the one i'm referring two?
She sounded as though she spoke with an oriental
accent (my oppinion), but it was in english....
a series of four numbers, a pause, then a series of
another four numbers... continuously. I never
listened long enough to see if there was a pattern,
but then again, i would get too bored before that
could ever happen and change the frequencies.

She changed frequencies periodically, I think (I
never found her on the same one), and I heard that
nobody ever could find the station, that the transmission
point kept moving. I local buddy of mine and ham
radio operator who is now a silent key, KB5HUD
Jerry, was a big conspiracy theory nut and "black
helicopter" type, and boy, when he'd pull a cork at night
and get slobbery drunk on the ham bands, boy would
he churn out his ideas about "what it all meant".

I found it hard to believe, though, that nobody in this
day and age of technology, satellite triangulation and
so forth, that she could not be found if somebody wanted
to find the transmission point bad enough.

Clint
KB5ZHT

Old September 14th 03, 03:03 PM
Clint

heh.....

john has a long mustache... john has a long mustache....

Clint

If you sympathize with terrorists & middle eastern tyrants,
vote for liberals...

--

"Jack" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 08:57:29 GMT, (billy ball)
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 04:10:46 GMT, Frank Dresser
wrote:

The most common ones here are voiced by an automated female in Spanish.
They are more fun to theorize about than actually listen to. Here's a

few
links:

http://www.spynumbers.com/

http://home.freeuk.com/spook007/

http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Frank Dresser

- wow, that must be the *slowest* way to transfer files!

[...]

Email replies to:

n2hqc
at
earthlink
dot
net
Now that I'm retired and SWL'ing again, it would be just too weird to
run into it (or it's digitally synthesized successor) again! g

Old September 14th 03, 04:37 PM
elg110254

Vinyl was supposed to be dead as a musical delivery medium, also! Yet it has
survived that cd onslaught and is faring well into the new millenium! So will
shortwave broadcasting. If Auntie Been was so sure her North American audience
would follow over to the internet, how come she kept so many English broadcasts
obstensibly aimed towards Latin America & Mexico? Wonder how Deutsche Welle's
audience numbers are doing lately.
Old September 14th 03, 05:17 PM
Beloved Leader

(Frank White) wrote in message ...

The problem is, to generate the kind
of EMP wave that would trash communications on a
widespread basis you need a very high altitude nuclear
detonation. There aren't many nations capable of
doing that, and the only way terrorists could pull
off such a stunt would be to smuggle a hydrogen bomb
onto a jetliner and set it off as the jet reached
maximum altitude.

This is a job for ... the New World Order!

SW isn't as much fun as it used to be, what with no more Radio Tirana
and Radio Moscow. I'm not selling any of my radios, though. In fact, I
checked the cells in my DX-392 today, as Hurricane Isabel approaches.
Guess what - I had one installed backwards. Duh, maybe that's why it
ran fine on the power adapter but not on the cells. "Read the
instructions," indeed.

As someone else asked elsewhere (of the orginal poster for this
thread), how much is your friend asking for the DX-392?

Old September 14th 03, 05:24 PM
David

For serious international broadcasting, yes. Quite dead.

But Ute monitoring is still fun as is listening to the Nut Job Network
on domestic HF.

The international powerhouses have (or soon will) migrate totally to
internet and satellite.

see wrn.org

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 02:12:24 GMT, Jason
wrote:

Hello all

For a long time I have been interested in Shortwave listening, and I
have noticed on the internet that Digital radio is becoming more
prevalent. Before I go out and invest some money on a quality reciever,
is it safe to assume it is a hobby I can enjoy for years to come, or
will Shortwave be replaced in 5 years by more modern technology?

Thanks for any input,

JM Doiron

Old September 14th 03, 05:59 PM
King Pineapple

"Don Forsling" wrote in message

Yes it has and yes I do. The truth of your point simply points up the

truth
of the contention you're arguing against. In turns of international
broadcasting nations and transmitters on the air and listeners using
shortwave, SW has deminished each and every year since Kennedy was
president. And, I suppose that within the next year, yet another nation

or
two will announce that they're discontinuing international broadcasting

via
shortwave. So ask yourself this: "Are there as many stations on the air
now for as many hours as when I started in the hobby?" Your answer will

be
"no." It's "no" because, yes, shortwave _is_ dying. I take no
satisfaction in this, but the facts are the facts and they are

indisputable.

Hey, there's a LOT more than "international broadcasters" to listen to. In
fact, I listen to said stations very little.

Old September 14th 03, 07:46 PM
Clifton T. Sharp Jr.

Jack wrote:
The one that intrigued me the most was a signal that sounded like a
inebriated bagpiper playing the same weird series of notes over and
over, broken by infrequent short bursts of what sounded like scrambled
speech (inverted sideband?). It would show up at a wide assortment of
HF frwquencies, most often around 10-10.5, 11-12, 14-15, and 17 Mhz. I
don't know if it was riding propagation or what; seemed to be random.
Sometimes several different bagpipes were playing at once on different
freqs. Sometimes it appeared broken, with tones missing or slight
variations of the sequence. This occurred more frequently as the
years went on. I first heard it around 1965, but it was still around,
in one variation or another, until at least 1978, when I was forced to
"get a life" and stop SWL'ing.

I remember the bagpiper. I don't remember the bursts between, but I might
not have paid attention to them back then. I do remember a definite click
at certain regular intervals in the recording.

I remember the magazine columns of the time kept referring to a "kiss
me honey" (or "honey honey") signal, named after some song. I always
wondered if the bagpiper was that one, because I never heard anything
I could remotely connect with "kiss me honey".

--
"Here, Outlook Express, run this program." "Okay, stranger."
Old September 14th 03, 09:44 PM
CW

It's not just one. There are lots of them.
"Clint" rattlehead@computronDOTnet wrote in message
well put....

if, by a numbers station, are you referring to that
oriental woman that would continuously read off
a series of 4 numbers, pause, and continue...
over and over? I never knew what that was, but
it sure fed conspiracy theories for a long time.

Clint
KB5ZHT

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

[...]

Don Forsling

"Iowa--Gateway to Those Big Rectangular States"

Even if international broadcasting disappeared entirely, there would

still
be shortwave radio.

There's less co-channel and adjacent channel interference, the Soviet
woodpecker is gone and the US domestic SW broadcasters are far more
entertaining than the BBC or Radio Moscow.

There's still hams, military, avaition and nautical communications.

Still
some utililties, too. Never been more pirates. I can't go more than a

few
days without stumbling across a numbers station.

As far as I'm concerned, shortwave radio has never been better.

Frank Dresser