Old January 10th 04, 09:51 PM
Brian

Default 9:1 unun question

I was wondering if the toroid I was going to bust out of an old broken icf
2001 would work for the 9:1 matching transformer I was building. And does
anyone know how to wind a toroid with two holes?

Brian

Old January 11th 04, 05:21 AM
Dale Parfitt

"Brian" wrote in message
nk.net...
I was wondering if the toroid I was going to bust out of an old broken icf
2001 would work for the 9:1 matching transformer I was building. And does
anyone know how to wind a toroid with two holes?

Brian

Don't know what an ICF2001 is, but what you are describing is a binocular

core- these make a FAR superior 9:1 than do classic toroidal cores. 1.5:1
VSWR BW will be nearly 10X wider with a binocular core than toroidal.
In a binocular core 1 turn is counted when the wire traverses each hole 1X.
Dale W4OP

Old January 11th 04, 11:12 AM
starman

Brian wrote:

I was wondering if the toroid I was going to bust out of an old broken icf
2001 would work for the 9:1 matching transformer I was building. And does
anyone know how to wind a toroid with two holes?

Brian

First, I'd sell the 2001 to someone that wants one for parts. If you
don't know what circuit of the 2001 the torroid is in, it might not be
suitable for HF use. You can buy 'binocular' torroids for a reasonable
price on -Dan's Small Parts- website (below). Look for a #43 ferrite
composition for HF use. Get one about 12-mm (0.5-inch) long.

http://www.danssmallpartsandkits.net/

Old January 11th 04, 10:05 PM
Brian

When winding a binocular core do you have to keep the windings on opposite
sides of one another. Anyone have a diagram, just trying to get a mental
image.

Brain

Old January 12th 04, 10:08 AM
RHF

BRIAN,

Read the "Binocular Cores -=V=- Toroidal Cores"
http://lists.contesting.com/archives.../msg00001.html

Broadband Receiving Antenna Matching - Mark Connelly [WA1ION]
http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/bev/bb_antenna_matching.pdf
Scroll Down to the Photo of the "Binocular Core Figure 2"

Check-Out "Balun Core" (Binocular = Two Hole)
Drawings, Table and Formula
http://www.catchnet.com.au/~rjandusi...un_core_1.html
Ferrite Core Formula = Number of Turns
http://www.catchnet.com.au/~rjandusimports/fe_form1.gif

Photos of Binocular Cores
http://www.catchnet.com.au/~rjandusi...es/balun_t.jpg

Balun and Transformer Core Selection
Scroll Down to the Photo of the "Beverage Matching Transformer"
http://www.w8ji.com/core_selection.htm

Take a Look at the "Ferrite Material Cross Reference"
- Manufacturers Equivalent Ferrite Materials
- Based on Initial Permeability (µi)
http://www.catchnet.com.au/~rjandusi.../xref_mat.html

Balun (Matching Transformer) Core Sources:
http://www.cwsbytemark.com/prices/wideband.php
http://www.surplussales.com/FerMisc/FerMisc-5.html
http://www.cmi-ferrite.com/Products/...res/baluns.htm

Last-But-Not-Least: Read the "Balun Reading List ( Long )"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWL-AM...na/message/337
[ Shortwave Listeners (SWL) Antennas and AM & FM Antennas ]
"SWL-AM-FM-Antenna" eGroup on YAHOO !

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = "Brian"

"starman" wrote in message
Brian wrote:

I was wondering if the toroid I was going to bust out of an old broken

icf
2001 would work for the 9:1 matching transformer I was building. And

does
anyone know how to wind a toroid with two holes?

Brian

First, I'd sell the 2001 to someone that wants one for parts. If you
don't know what circuit of the 2001 the torroid is in, it might not be
suitable for HF use. You can buy 'binocular' torroids for a reasonable
price on -Dan's Small Parts- website (below). Look for a #43 ferrite
composition for HF use. Get one about 12-mm (0.5-inch) long.

http://www.danssmallpartsandkits.net/

balun balun balun balun balun balun balun balun balun balun balun
matching matching matching matching matching matching matching
transformer transformer transformer transformer transformer
binocular binocular binocular binocular binocular binocular

Interesting question JAMES HAMPTON CB 3 December 7th 04 10:34 AM
Optimod question. Keith Anderson Broadcasting 13 June 8th 04 12:24 AM
BPL Video On-Line JJ Policy 31 August 17th 03 09:12 PM
Question regarding police tactics and scanners noobie Scanner 0 July 29th 03 12:48 AM