Old January 14th 12, 03:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default N connectors for LMR 600 Ultra Flex

What's the best N connectors for LM600 ultraflex cable. I had SWR
problems with one antenna that I troubleshot to the connector. Crimp
was corroded and plating peeling off. Checked two other cables I had
installed while they still seeemed electrically sound the corrosion
was also present. Antennas had been well sealed and no detectable
moisture inside. Even the ends in the shack were gunked. Help on this
would be much appreciated.

KD4RQE
Jimmie

Old March 17th 12, 02:12 AM
Junior Member

Location: Sugar Land,TX ex Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMMIE[_2_] View Post
What's the best N connectors for LM600 ultraflex cable. I had SWR
problems with one antenna that I troubleshot to the connector. Crimp
was corroded and plating peeling off. Checked two other cables I had
installed while they still seeemed electrically sound the corrosion
was also present. Antennas had been well sealed and no detectable
moisture inside. Even the ends in the shack were gunked. Help on this
would be much appreciated.

KD4RQE
Jimmie
You just might have galvanic corrosion of two dissimilar metals.
There is some chart that shows the metals in a list, the metals close to one another will present no problems, the metals farther apart will perhaps have problems.

Aluminum and brass are two metals that will corrode [in the presence of moisture]

Plus the plating that you spoke about... do you really knows its composition?

I would go with a different brand of connector , perhaps more expensive..

Perhaps calling the manufacturer of this coax and ask their recommendation

FS**NIB FLEX RADIO SDR-1000** W6ON Swap 0 March 11th 10 07:58 PM
FS***NIB FLEX RADIO SDR-1000*** W6ON Swap 0 March 8th 10 07:08 PM
WTB: SDR 1000 Flex Radio... [email protected] Equipment 0 June 15th 07 01:53 AM
Flex-Tenna download.com Scanner 0 May 23rd 07 06:02 AM
Grove's Flex-tenna Hunchy Shortwave 18 June 2nd 06 08:08 PM