Old April 14th 04, 09:34 PM
'Doc

Zeno,
No reason why it wouldn't work, just use the normal care
in selecting a 'spot' in the wall that doesn't hold any
other wiring, etc. Using feed-throughs like that is sort of
'permanent', can't remove it without repairing the holes.
The board in the window thingy isn't 'permanent', just take
it out of the window and replace the screen (if any). The
choice is your's and your 'significant other's (probably more
her's, than your's, right?)...
'Doc
Old April 14th 04, 10:23 PM
Cecil Moore

'Doc wrote:
"Swarming" means that because of the 'memory' of the wire
used to make the 'twin lead', when it's turned loose from
whatever you fixed it to to build it, it tries to assume it's
former shape. Usually results in a 'rat's nest' of wire in
a not so compact ball, LOL! Not really something to waste a
lot of worry on, just be aware that it can happen.

Tying the ladder-line to the trailer hitch of my GMC pickup and
stretching it a bit solved all those problems.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old April 14th 04, 11:58 PM
Irv Finkleman

'Doc wrote:

Zeno,
"Swarming" means that because of the 'memory' of the wire
used to make the 'twin lead', when it's turned loose from
whatever you fixed it to to build it, it tries to assume it's
former shape. Usually results in a 'rat's nest' of wire in
a not so compact ball, LOL! Not really something to waste a
lot of worry on, just be aware that it can happen.
'Doc

Perhaps the term 'Sproinging' might be better. You take it out in a
neat roll, let go, it goes 'Sproing!' and you have a rats nest. When
you get ready to put it up, call a couple of chums over for an
antenna raising party and let them loose the coil -- then let them clean
up the ball of wire! :-)

Irv VE6BP

--
--------------------------------------
Diagnosed Type II Diabetes March 5 2001
Old April 15th 04, 08:04 PM
zeno

So "Swarming" is really the term for that? I could use that.
Sometimes that phenomenon is real comedy material. I can just
see Laurel and Hardy putting up a short wave antenna......

"swarming" hmmmmm, like you disturbed a hornets nest eh?

Now that I think of it, the actual physics behind "swarming"
would be pretty darn sophisticated stuff.....

Bill (aka Zeno, aka, etc...)

Zeno,

Old April 15th 04, 08:10 PM
zeno

What is need is some kind of "brain washing" technique for wire....

Either that or they should sell wire in straight lengths.....
One of my favorite (and boring) routines at the Home Depot, while awkwardly tooling
around with 20 Foot pipes in the shopping cart nearly causing bodily harm when
negotiating a turn down an isle, is to ask one of the managers, "where do you keep
the 1000 footers?"

Getting home with a 500 foot straight length of wire would require a few red flags
in back.....

-Zeno

Irv Finkleman wrote:

Zeno,

Old April 15th 04, 08:25 PM
zeno

Doc,

Would this be a good reason to use solid core copper wire?

After tying one end of my ladder line to a short (PVC) pole at
the house roof peak (this is to keep it high and away from some
other lines), I need to carefully arch (arc) it around and into
the side of the house (or into a modified "window" that
ventillates the attic space up there. I might use a "stick" or
something to make sure the ladder line stays where I want it
here. The ladder line at this point has to go through a space
between a cable tv and a telephone line. If the ladder line is
kept in place, it will be 2-3 feet away from the other lines
which are perpendicular (and thus only in proximity at a one
point).

It is because of these other lines that I perhaps might have to
consider other alternatives, but I thought I would first try the
idea of running the ladder line all the way into the station in
the house. If there is a problem with interference, then I might
have to consider the system, I have seen mentioned, where you
run double coax lines into the house for the last section with
the shields tied together (anyone actually tried that, does that
work well, any problems, etc.?)

My point being that solid core wire is easier to "mold" into
shape. My only concern is that sometimes solid core could break
if there is a repetitive friction type bending stress along the
way (wind, or who knows).

Zeno

Zeno,

Old April 17th 04, 09:28 PM
zeno

Richard Clark wrote:

Black is usually indicative of carbon content; but I wouldn't let that
stop me the first time around if it was handy (pop it into the
microwave and nuke it to see if it gets hot - this is not about
microwave frequencies, merely tendency to conduct and to dissipate).

Wouldn't sticking my multi/ohmeter into the material at a couple of points
tell me if it dielectric or not? I did that and it would seem that this black
poly pipe is totally non-conductive. If it contained carbon it would be like
a composition resistor and register something (no?).

Anyway I am working on another source of rigid 3/8" dia. UV/PVC which might
work out better.

bill

Old April 17th 04, 10:58 PM
Richard Clark

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 20:28:35 GMT, zeno wrote:
Richard Clark wrote:

Black is usually indicative of carbon content; but I wouldn't let that
stop me the first time around if it was handy (pop it into the
microwave and nuke it to see if it gets hot - this is not about
microwave frequencies, merely tendency to conduct and to dissipate).

Wouldn't sticking my multi/ohmeter into the material at a couple of points
tell me if it dielectric or not? I did that and it would seem that this black
poly pipe is totally non-conductive. If it contained carbon it would be like
a composition resistor and register something (no?).

Anyway I am working on another source of rigid 3/8" dia. UV/PVC which might
work out better.

Hi Bill,

Being conductive and being lossy are not the same thing. You may have
both situations, or one, or the other; however "not being conductive"
does not necessarily mean "not lossy." The microwave test is hardly
conclusive unless you notice it heat up. Other testing is more
sophisticated.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old April 18th 04, 12:38 AM
zeno

Being conductive and being lossy are not the same thing. You may have
both situations, or one, or the other; however "not being conductive"
does not necessarily mean "not lossy." The microwave test is hardly
conclusive unless you notice it heat up. Other testing is more
sophisticated.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Ohhhhh! I get it now. Its like why some kitchenware is ok for the microwave and
some not. The RF might be heating my spacers and if the spacers are the wrong
stuff, we have a melt down! Darn....why did all those neat industries making cool
things out of glass and ceramic dry up and disappear.....

with the collectible price of simple glass antenna strain insulators you would
think some industry would fire it up again, and while they are at it they could
make some of them out of purple glass and the collectors would go nuts unleashing
all kinds of cash on them. How hard is it to make things out of glass?

ps. has anyone actually heard of a diy ladder line having a spacer melt down
while running power? no reason why it couldn't happen....

Now that I understand, I will at least put my prospective spacers through the
microwave test....

-bill

Old April 18th 04, 02:28 AM
Richard Clark

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 23:38:29 GMT, zeno wrote:
ps. has anyone actually heard of a diy ladder line having a spacer melt down
while running power? no reason why it couldn't happen....

Hi Bill,

This has never been reported here. Instead, it is noted by the
characteristic Z of the line being lower than computed. Such
measurements (of the characteristic Z) can be performed through a few
simple but still time consuming tests.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Methods for ladder line feed on rotatable antenna? KS7J Antenna 11 November 18th 03 02:45 AM
100 w, Automatic Ladder line HF tuner Tom - KS5x Antenna 2 November 11th 03 03:09 PM
Ladder Line or Coax For Reception only? Walter Antenna 12 October 11th 03 03:16 AM
Ladder line questions mike Antenna 1 September 22nd 03 05:24 AM
Complex line Z0: A numerical example Roy Lewallen Antenna 11 September 13th 03 01:04 AM